Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
4xMeister
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Craven

Win 10 v1903 Error with every backup attempt

Post by 4xMeister »

Hi all!

I am using Win 10 v1903 (with all updates applied) and Veeam Agent v3.0.2.1170
I cannot successfully perform a backup. I am backing up to a LAN Shared folder.
It backs up my Recovery & EFI system partitions just fine (I've seen this error posted alot in regards to backing up those partitions)
But, while backing up my C: drive (a NTFS partition with about 400Gb's of data) it gets to around 50Gb's or so in about 25 minutes (each time is a little bit different, i.e. 56Gb's or 58Gb's - so not always in the same exact spot) I get the following error:

Code: Select all

7/18/2019 11:21:28 PM :: Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [141038]. Failed to download disk.  
Any advice?
Support Ticket #03671109
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Win 10 v1903 Error with every backup attempt

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Michael,

Please keep working with our support team as application log analysis is required to identify the root case. Thank you!
4xMeister
Novice

Post by 4xMeister »

I just received an e-mail "system generated courtesy notification" that may support case was closed and archived automatically.
This is very disappointing considering I waited weeks after v1903 was released and installed for v3.0.2, just to find out Veeam STILL doesn't work successfully with v1903 :-(
pouya
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Phillip Ou Yang

Post by pouya »

In personal experience 'device is not ready' means there is some sort of hardware related issue on the machine. If you wanted to test a few things out, I would recommend backing up the volumes one at a time and see where it is failing. Is there any chance it is always failing on a specific volume? Remember to check 'Show system and hidden volumes' so you can select/deselect system reserved/EFI and recovery partitions one by one.
4xMeister
Novice

Post by 4xMeister »

It is always the main system drive (I've done check disk and scanned the surface for errors (it's an SSD) No problems) C: drive (a NTFS partition with about 400Gb's of data) it gets to around 50Gb's or so in about 25 minutes (each time is a little bit different, i.e. 56Gb's or 58Gb's - so not always in the same exact spot)
4xMeister
Novice

Post by 4xMeister »

Curious question - Would this be caused by a network connection error, since I am copying to a LAN location?
Or does this error truly mean it is a 'Read' error, indicating a local system problem?
pouya
Novice

Post by pouya » 1 person likes this post

Thats possible as well. You can isolate it by running a job to a external hard drive (if you have one handy)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I just received an e-mail "system generated courtesy notification" that may support case was closed and archived automatically.
This automated message likely is generated due to less support engineers being available during weekend, I've already asked to review your case details, so support team will get in touch with you soon. According to the error it looks like an infrastructure specific issue, so it's hard to say what went wrong before debug logs review. Please let us know how the investigation goes. Cheers!
mlavie
Enthusiast

Post by mlavie »

Pouya,

Did this ever get fixed? If so, I'd appreciate hearing the solution.
pouya
Novice

Post by pouya »

mlavie,

Replied to your PM 😊