Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
keith Drayton
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Keith Drayton

Endpoint Recovery to VM - VCRuntime140_CLR0400.dll is missing

Post by keith Drayton »

I have a image of a machine created using Endpoint (free version) and have been attempting to put it into a VM,
Image was taking a month or so ago before the machine was wiped and upgraded to Windows 10, We now find our selfs missing a setting for a piece of software, Thought the simple option would be fire up the image and check it on there,
I have carried out the following steps in both our VMWare Vsphere server and Hyper-V on a windows 10 laptop with same results.

First attempt - Convert the image to VMDK \ VHD, Create new VM with this disk and boot
Windows 7 gets stuck in a boot loop.

Second attempt - Full Endpoint recovery, Mount the recovery ISO and boot a blank VM from it,
On both Vmware & Hyper-Vim getting the following error before i get to the recovery console

The program cant start because VCRUNTIME140_CLR0400.dll is missing from your computer, Try reinstalling to fix this problem.

I was sure i had done this before and have seen articles on line demonstrating it but im getting this error from several recovery ISO from different systems,

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Endpoint Recovery to VM - VCRuntime140_CLR0400.dll is missing

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Keith,

Can you please clarify if it's possible to boot the resulting VM in the safe mode? Thank you!
keith Drayton
Influencer

Post by keith Drayton »

Hi Dima

If i carry out a conversion of the image to disk and add that to a VM it fails to boot in safe mode either, Again end up with a boot loop.
I have other ways of getting the information i want to start this image up for but now i also want to get it working to ensure its OK.
I dont currently have any real hardware i can restore to for testing so cant say if i have an image problem or VM problem.

Thanks
keith Drayton
Influencer

Post by keith Drayton »

So about a month on from running into this problem that i had assumed was trying to recovery a physical machine backup from the agent to a VM i wanted to try it with another PC,
Recovery media created, ISO and direct to USB,
Agent backup runs fine on the physical PC,
Any attempt to recover to a VM fails with
The program cant start because VCRUNTIME140_CLR0400.dll is missing from your computer, Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem,

So this time after trying a couple different options to get a working VM i decided to head back to the original physical hardware and boot the recover USB, To my surprise im getting the same error so it appears to have nothing to do with recovering to VM and something to do with the recovery media its self,
Im running Agent version 3, I think there is an update available, Tomorrow i will update and create new media and see if that fixes the issue,
When recovering to original hardware i have not run into this before but have always been on earlier versions, I think these errors have only been with Agent version 3,

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
HybridUK
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by HybridUK »

Hey,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm just trying to do a BMR using the boot disk and it's throwing up the same error message about VCRUNTIME140_CLR0400.DLL being missing.

Many thanks.
amcq
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Arick Severson

Post by amcq »

A workaround that solved this issue for our instance was using a Windows generated recovery media instead of the Veeam created recovery media.

We used Veeam for the backup and restore successfully, which was great since Windows and other imaging software repeatedly failed backing up the drive. It was frustrating to receive this error so close to completion. If I had to guess, the Veeam recovery media needed the dll to run, but the Windows recovery media did not. Before backing up, I tried replacing both dll files in the system folders and also used the repair function of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable but neither solved the issue.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Arick,

Any change you have a case with our support team? If I remember correctly this issue can be addressed by the agent re-installation (including entire set of prerequisites). Cheers!