Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ctimichel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Cti Michel

Recover files from corrupted backup files

Post by ctimichel »

A friend of mine who has been using the incremental Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 for a few years but obviously made some mistakes (not sure really which ones), me passed his backup folder which contains the following files:

The file "Backup Job COMPUTADOR.vbm" contains the following data:
https://justpaste.it/1pi9e

I saw on his computer that now he had upgraded the installation to Veeam Agent 3.

He is asking me to recover as many files as I can from his backup files, and I am not sure what to do since when I click on the "Backup Job COMPUTADOR.vbm" I this screen saying there is no valid data:

So my questions are:

1) Is there any compatibility issues between successive versions of Endpoint Backup and Agent software? (I installed version 2.2.0.589 which I found written in the "Backup Job COMPUTADOR.vbm" file - this is the one giving the "No valid restore point" message.

2) Is is possible to recover files on a computer different from the original one (one which has different backup configuration settings)?

3) How do I check the integrity of a Veeam backup file set? The backup file set seems to contain quite a bit of data - summing the size of all files we have close to 500GB.

4) Supposing the integrity of the backup was violated (not sure if some important files were deleted - he mentioned to me that the backup disk was full), is there any way I could recover some files? How?

Eagerly waiting for some help on any of these questions!

Any comment well appreciated!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Recover files from corrupted backup files

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ctimichel,
1) Is there any compatibility issues between successive versions of Endpoint Backup and Agent software? (I installed version 2.2.0.589 which I found written in the "Backup Job COMPUTADOR.vbm" file - this is the one giving the "No valid restore point" message.
There should not be any problems. Try to start Veeam File Level recovery via Start menu and select the backup file via restore wizard by specifying current location.
2) Is is possible to recover files on a computer different from the original one (one which has different backup configuration settings)?
Yes.
3) How do I check the integrity of a Veeam backup file set? The backup file set seems to contain quite a bit of data - summing the size of all files we have close to 500GB.
The best way is to perform file level restore from the latest restore point in the backup chain.
4) Supposing the integrity of the backup was violated (not sure if some important files were deleted - he mentioned to me that the backup disk was full), is there any way I could recover some files? How?
You must have entire backup chain to perform a recovery (if by any change file from the 'active' backup chain has been deleted - it wont be possible to run recovery).
ctimichel
Novice

Post by ctimichel »

Thank you for your reply Dima!

Now, as I said, there must be some corruption in the file set I have, as when I use the File Level Recovery, I select the .VBM file and Veeam just does NOT recognize it.

The following screenshot is *AFTER* I selected the .VBM file:

So I believe something is corrupted, but I would like to understand what... How can I know what's corrupted? Would there be any way by analysing the .VBM file which I pasted here: https://justpaste.it/1pi9e ?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

ctimichel,

Raise a support ticket via Veeam Agent for Windows UI (it's free but on best effort basis) and our team will check your backup file and debug logs. Please share the case Id once you have it. Thank you!
ctimichel
Novice

Post by ctimichel »

Sure, I could do this except I am not on the original machine here. I just have the full backup folder on the external hard disk of my friend - this means you guys won't be able to access the logs, correct?

I could get them though - where are they located in the folder tree?
ctimichel
Novice

Post by ctimichel »

Hi, I could get the logs from my friend and I posted them online for you to download.

Please see Veeam Support - Case # 03702173 - Veeam unable to restore files: corruption?
ctimichel
Novice

Post by ctimichel »

Here are the logs for anyone who could help: http://bit.ly/logsveeam
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

ctimichel,

Thanks for sharing the case ID. I'll ask support team to review your case details very attentively, so stay tuned.
ctimichel
Novice

Post by ctimichel »

OK thank you Dima!
ctimichel
Novice

Post by ctimichel »

Dima, a quick update, I received an email this morning saying that my support case was closed!

Veeam Support Case 03702173 is Closed.
This is Veeam Support with a system generated courtesy notification. Unfortunately, due to high Support Team load we were unable to process your request and it has been archived automatically.

Is there any possibility to reopen it?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

ctimichel,

Looks like support team was very busy during weekend, so the case was closed automatically, sorry for this confusion. I've already asked support management to reopen it. Cheers!
ctimichel
Novice

Post by ctimichel »

OK great, more time I have!