Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Rename vCenter server in Veeam

Post by ian0x0r »

This is more hack ive just implemented, but it may come in useful for some one else.

At a clients site they had changed the computer name of the vCenter server, which in turn meant that Veeam could not access the server via it original name. Rather than deleting the vCenter server and thus deleting all my backup jobs, I cracked open the Veeam B&R database, found the dbo.Hosts table and changed the name in there. Bottom line, it seems to work.

The only thing that had changed here was the name of the vcenter server, no credentials had changed or anything like that.

I guess this wont be a supported "fix", but it may come in useful to some one.... unless what I have done breaks something else?

Ian
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Rename vCenter server in Veeam

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ian,

Yes, that would be unsupported fix, but I would suggest another workaround, which I believe is more elegant - just edit hosts file on the backup server to resolve vCenter Server's hostname correctly. :wink:

Thanks.
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Post by ian0x0r »

But that would be the easy option :D... and to be honest I forgot about that :oops:
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

If you have powershell installed with Veeam, you can do the following:

Code: Select all

$Server = Get-VBRServer | ?{$_.name -eq "VCName/IP"}
$Server.SetName("Whatever name/IP you want")
This would save you the hassle from updating the DB and is a more secure way to make sure you don't break any links or anything in the DB.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.