Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Zek
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

SQL server cpu usage on idle state

Post by Zek » 1 person likes this post

Sometimes, when there is no active jobs on workstations with installed agent (v3.0.0.748), process sqlservr.exe (localdb instance belongs to veeam) shortly usage significant CPU cycles (10-30%), that has a negative effect on performance in high-load applications (like games) or for low-performance PC like old laptops, and impact on battery life. In my opinion, a good backup application should not use system resources until it starts to perform the task. I suspect some maintenance plans in SQL are working at this moment.
To avoid this, I have to close the veeam agent and start it only when i need to run job.
Could please developers work on optimizing the usage of SQL server, because from this point the solution looks much less attractive than other products?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: SQL server cpu usage on idle state

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Zek,

Any chance you have another application that might use localdb? Thanks!
Zek
Service Provider

Post by Zek »

No, this is an instance belongs to the veeam agent, it is installed by distributive, and it also starts and stops with the service veeam agent. Other applications cannot use it because there is only created by installer users in db.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Noted. We will review your idea regarding the maintenance plans, thanks for sharing your feedback!
Zek
Service Provider

Post by Zek » 2 people like this post

IMHO, it would be a good solution to stop the sql service while there are no active tasks, and start the service when job is activated.
Skeltek
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Halim Paracki

Post by Skeltek » 1 person likes this post

Greetings, I can confirm this issue. The Veeam Agent for Windows is unusable on my Windows10 machine. The regular CPU usage peaks render most other applications nearly unusable, and prohbit a normal workflow. Every 30-60 seconds the CPU load spikes to about 50% (I got an old dual core 2.5GHz Athlon on that computer) by sqlservr.exe, preventing other apps from proper execution during that time, basically freezing the screen and denying any calcs there.
The SQL server module was installed by Veeam and was neither present nor in use prior to installation of Veeam. I dont see any point in having a weekly backup, if the tray uses this much CPU and breaks the workflow of every other app for the whole week.
Tested this on both my main Computer running Windwos 10 Education (german) and on my notebook running Windows 10 Student (english).

Even Im still a student, I wouldnt recommend using Veeam to my employer when I get a job if this issue persists. I dont get why using the SQL server is even a requirement while the Veeam agent is inactive for another week until the next backup is scheduled.
Skeltek
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Halim Paracki

Post by Skeltek »

Found a solution at least for me:
Apparently there was MySQL Workbench 6.3 CE (1033) copy installed by either Veeam or it was an unused instal from a year ago which I never cared deinstalling.
After deinstalling that MySQL Workbench package, deinstalling WD Drive Utilities package and some other applications, the system runs fine again.

From reading various articles online I initially believed the SQL stuff got installed exclusively by Veeam, but apparently Veeam doesnt need the deinstalled MySQLWorkbench to run and do backups successfully.
After deinstalling the MySQL Workbench and a reboot, there is still a 'SQL Server Wndows NT - 64 Bit' shown running in the task manager, except this time it doesnt make any problems.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Halim,

MySQL Workbench is not a part of Veeam Agent for Windows installation bundle, likely you got it from another source. Glad to hear that your performance was not caused by our components, so thanks for sharing!
FaberfoX
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Fabricio Ferrari

Post by FaberfoX » 1 person likes this post

I see the same issue on my computer, 20% cpu usage from the single sqlservr.exe instance that belongs to veeam agent on an i5-4460.
I've tried manually stopping the localdb instance using sqllocaldb from a cmd.exe started as system (using psexec from sysinternals), but that leaves the veeam agent in a zombie state, running but non responsive.
If I stop the veeam service and manually start the localdb instance, sqlservr.exe cpu usage stays at 0, but goes back to 20% as soon as I restart the service.
Right now, I've resorted to using task scheduler to stop the veeam service after event 190 is posted (backup finished), and to start it one minute before my daily scheduled backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Fabricio,

Is it possible for you to raise a support case and share the case ID with us? Thank you in advance!
FaberfoX
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Fabricio Ferrari

Post by FaberfoX »

Done, case #03785279 opened
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you, passed to QA team.
Keyser
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by Keyser » 1 person likes this post

I have seen the exact same issue since the agent was installed on my machine back when it was v.2.x
It's still the same here at v.3

Perhaps it's related to the destination being a network NAS with specified credentials in the agent?
That's my config, and that's probably not the most used scenario.

-Keyser
Zek
Service Provider

Post by Zek » 1 person likes this post

Any updates about this issue? I still have this periodically SQL server CPU usage spikes on every PC with installed latest veeam agent version. Workaround by stopping the VeeamEndpointBackupSvc service is possible, but in this case, the task schedule does not work.
Why does the veeam agent just not stop the sql server while there are no active jobs, is that the easiest solution?
BTW there are similar topics on the forum, the same problem with open ticket is described more than 2 years ago: veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/cpu-usage-s ... 47433.html
Dima P.
Product Manager

We are collecting and investigating all the feedback received via support team, so if you faced similar problem please raise a support case and share the case ID. Then I can ask our QA team to review the case details. Cheers!
rastler
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Roman Averin

Post by rastler »

I have exactly the same problem and I wanted to see the solution to this case here.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Roman,

Please raise an independent case with our support team so we could take a look at your particular situation.

Thanks
g-rant001
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by g-rant001 »

Any update?! There is no reason for the CPU to spike when veeam isn't running.
ottl05
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by ottl05 »

I´ve got the same problem on my notebook. Veeam Agent with no running job, but sql server uses 10-20% CPU.
mts75
Novice
Liked: never

Post by mts75 »

Same Problem here - I have multiple Instances of Windows 10 (in esxi-free) with Veeam installed.
The server behaves very slowly with heavy CPU usage. I took a closer look and found out, that sql-server-instances used by veeam on multipe Instances of win10 caused the problem.
Disabling Veeam Service was the only thing, that helps. Please fix, because the Product is unuseable, when it slows down my server so much while ideling!!

The Problem appears with Updating win10 from 1908 to 2005 and update to latest Veeam-Version. Before changing windows and veem version it runs multiple years without problems. Now I don't know, if windows 10 is incompatible or the latest Veeam-Release is buggy!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Updating win10 from 1908 to 2005
I assume you mean 1909 to 2004... 2004 is not supported yet.
g-rant001
Influencer

Post by g-rant001 »

Is that all you have to offer is to correct his windows versioning? The fact that 2004 isn't supported doesn't solve the problem that everyone is facing! Why is SQL using so much CPU? What can be done to fix this problem because it is clear it is a problem and needs to be resolved.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi G-rant001,

Could you please raise a support case so we could collect all the necessary technical details about the particular issue you are facing?

Thanks
g-rant001
Influencer

Post by g-rant001 »

Hi Wishr,

do you work for Veeam? Why did you offer this great response?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Yes, I'm a part of the R&D team. The problem is we cannot fix something without knowing what is the underlying issue in your particular situation. Since the troubleshooting is not possible through the forums, we strongly advise raising a support case in order to provide all the technical information. Once a case is raised, the case ID is mentioned on the forum and all the technical details including debug logs are provided we'll be able to help.

Thanks
g-rant001
Influencer

Post by g-rant001 »

It seems this is happening with a lot of others. I am sure by this point cases are open for this problem. I think most people would just like a confirmation from Veeam that this is a known issue and they are working on coming up with a solution.
g-rant001
Influencer

Post by g-rant001 »

In my case, I can't open a support ticket because Veeam wont accept anything from the community addition. Although this issue has nothing to do with that at all, it is clearly something wrong with the software. I would love to help veeam troubleshoot this issue and find a solution, but I am not going to pay for the product because I have no need to pay. The point is free or not free, this shouldn't be the behavior on any end point.
g-rant001
Influencer

Post by g-rant001 »

Correction, I was able to submit a case. I didn't realize there was a community edition further down. My case is submitted.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

What's your case number then?
g-rant001
Influencer

Post by g-rant001 »