Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
X-POSE
Novice
Liked: never

Backing up Veeam / vCentre Physical Machine

Post by X-POSE »

Hi All,

We are having an issue with a physical server which hosts Veeam Backup and Replication and vCentre. I have installed ShadowProtect on the physical - however when running the SP backup - it constatly fails with:

Code: Select all

03-Aug-2011 14:41:19	service	199	try snapshot by  VSNAP API directly
03-Aug-2011 14:41:19	service	302	Cannot take snapshot. Error: The request is not supported. 0x80070032(2147942450). Method:  VSNAP API directly. Volumes count: 2.
We have 3 servers, 2 of which are running ESXi 4.1. The physical runs 2008 R2. Veeam backups are scheduled to run on an hourly basis between 8pm-6am and a replication job runs at night.

I have been in touch with ShadowProtect - and they have asked:
Is the Veeam CDP replication enabled? If so, that is your issue. Veeam backup and ShadowProtect are fine, but the CDP component – no.
Does anyone know if there are any issues running SP to backup a Veeam server? Any help would be much appreicated.

Cheers, Nigel.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Backing up Veeam / vCentre Physical Machine

Post by Gostev »

There is no such thing as Veeam CDP replication component. We do not provide CDP replication. What we call near-CDP or SmartCDP is regular backup or replication job with schedule set to run very often (e.g. every 5 minutes). Thanks.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Looks like the problem is with the "VSNAP" command. I've run into this in the past with P2Vs. VMware has a KB here - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1006603

I'm not familair with Shadow Protect. Is it making a VM backup copy of the Veeam Server?
X-POSE
Novice

Post by X-POSE »

All,

This has been resolved, I just removed the System Reserved (BitLocker) partition from the ShadowProtect backup.

Tested a restore and it was fine.

Cheers.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

Thanks for the update and boo ShadowProtect support for trying to blame Veeam for their own issue :)
X-POSE
Novice

Post by X-POSE »

No Probs... LOL