Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
hoang92bn
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: heroes1412

Subscription licenses + Perpetual licenses in one system

Post by hoang92bn »

if i have a customer want to buy 4 socket license (perpetual license) for 4 socket VMWare and 20 VUL License for 20 physical server, will it be used in one system (one lic file / one VBR)???
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Subscription licenses + Perpetual licenses in one system

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Hoang.

Yes, sure. Please note, that merged license file will have functionality determined by perpetual license - so if Socket license is Enterprise, VUL(which is Enterprise Plus by default) will have Enterprise edition set of features too.
hoang92bn
Influencer

Post by hoang92bn »

Thanks Egor,
VUL is for Physical Server, i cannot see any set of features for Physical Server (Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows) ??? it only hasFREE/SERVER/WORKSATATION features set (https://www.veeam.com/products-edition-comparison.html)
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

For example, if you have VUL, you can use things like WAN Acceleration(VBR Enterprise Plus feature) to copy physical server backups offsite faster and more efficient. Physical server agents will be managed by VBR server after all. And in case you merge socket-VBR license, say Enterprise Edition with VUL package for physical servers, you will lose access to Enterprise Plus features of VUL.
hoang92bn
Influencer

Post by hoang92bn »

thank you.
William Bohn
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Bill Bohn

Post by William Bohn »

So is it better to run two instances of Veeam to keep the licenses separate? Why merge if you will lose features? Why can't Veeam handle different types of licenses?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi William.
Veeam can handle different types of licenses(like CPU perpetual and VUL subscription based) in one console with no problems, it is Editions of those licenses that matter.
Having different Editions within 1 console will lead to yet even more confusion for our customers, to which feature will be available for which workload, and thus restricted.
Answering your question, it is best for licenses within Veeam Backup and Replication to be of identical edition, merged and centrally managed.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: RH

Post by redhorse »

Just a question regarding the example with 20 VUL licenses in a merged license:

If I have a four socket perpetual enterprise licenses and I buy 20 VULs, I am licensed to backup 20 physical server with enterprise features using one license per server? I thought it counts 1.5 per server if the perpetual license is enterprise. Am I wrong?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

With VUL, every workload consumes 1 instance regardless of the product edition. So, much simplified from what you correctly remember.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Maybe it is a misunderstanding, but my suggestion comes from the Veeam Licensing Policy:

https://www.veeam.com/licensing-policy. ... sing-Terms

I assume that there is a different between subscription license and VUL? So I have to migrate my existing Agent licenses to VUL to have 1 instance per workload?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

There's no difference between subscription license and VUL.

As of October 1st, our only Subscription license is VUL (see first table under 2.1.1).

If you buy VUL, your existing Agent licenses will need to be co-termed and converted to VUL as well. Obviously, you will not lose anything during the conversion, and will be able to use the same number of agents as before with that "converted" portion.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Thanks, that's great! Is it possible to use VUL for VMs while having perpetual socket licenses in a merged license?

We want to cover an ESXi-Cluster with the perpetual socket license and some hyper-v server on remote sides with just two VMs per server, so it's too expensive to license the sockets based on a perpetual license. Today we use agent backup for the VMs but it would be great to use the agentless VM backup for it.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Redhorse,

No, this is still not allowed unless you deploy it in a completely separate backup environment. Please refer to this topic for explanation.

Thanks
hoang92bn
Influencer

Post by hoang92bn »

Egor Yakovlev wrote: Oct 08, 2019 8:09 am Hi Hoang.

Yes, sure. Please note, that merged license file will have functionality determined by perpetual license - so if Socket license is Enterprise, VUL(which is Enterprise Plus by default) will have Enterprise edition set of features too.
how about with above license (Std perpetual + Essential VUL) ??
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

I am quite sure you cannot merge with Essentials VUL (the main idea of Veeam Essentials is big discount for small environments).
Contact your local Veeam Sales representative and they will guide your way for best upgrade option.
/Thanks!