Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Veeam Universal License (VUL) Feedback

Post by NightBird »

The main drawback of VUL => Enterprise Plus.
Most customers (smb ?) don’t need enterprise plus features.
Sockets Enterprise or VIL Enterprise were cheaper for this kind of customers.

And what about VIL customers when they will need to renew subscription => VUL and prices increase.

How to explain early Veeam agent customers => VIL and yet VUL with prices increase.

What a pain... and I’m a early Veeam adopter (Begun with B&R 2.0)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Universal License (VUL) Feedback

Post by Gostev »

NightBird wrote: Oct 08, 2019 7:56 pm The main drawback of VUL => Enterprise Plus.
Most customers (smb ?) don’t need enterprise plus features.
Which is the reason why we introduced Veeam Backup Starter, which has Standard edition features at a very low price - cheaper than iPhone ;)

NightBird wrote: Oct 08, 2019 7:56 pmHow to explain early Veeam agent customers => VIL and yet VUL with prices increase.
What agent price increase are you talking about? VUL decreases agent price by 20% comparing to what "early Veeam agent customers" paid for their agent, or comparing to agent price with VIL. So you don't have to explain them anything - you will be their hero for introducing them to Veeam!! :D
NightBird
Expert

Post by NightBird »

95% of my customers (SMB or NOT) => Enterprise, next 5% Enterprise Plus, so Starter... with Standard features (too basic, no backup job to tape, no surebackup, no per vm chain...). Do not do the trick ;)
I think Veeam should a day kill Standard edition, or bring Enterprise edition features to standard and kill Enterprise edition.

For price decrease by 20% for VUL, it's great :p

You deleted some post before mine, because I'm not the creator of the "Veeam Universal License (VUL) Feeback" subject :p

I'm already a hero for them then I introduce Veeam to new customers ;)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

No worries, I did not delete previous posts. I just split your posts into the separate topic dedicated to VUL. The original topic you have posted in was from pre-VUL times, and on a slightly different subject.

Starter is not some kind of trick, it has one and only one specific purpose: to serve as an upgrade path for the Community Edition. So same exact functionality set, but with support included, and double the number of instances. We're able to provide such a low price for Starter specifically because limiting the number of available features allows us to keep our support costs low.

However, next up from Starter is Veeam Essentials. You noted that 95% of your SMB customers use Enterprise edition - this means VUL is a HUGE win for them! Because VUL Essentials keeps the price of former VIL Essentials Enterprise edition (USD 80 per instance), but comes with the Enterprise Plus feature set! So, don't be quick at assuming VUL is a price increase... look at the new prices and packages more closely ;)
NightBird
Expert

Post by NightBird »

I will take a look to prices and packages when I have time :D

Great news for VUL Essentials at the price of VIL Essentials Enterprise ;)
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

Looks like Veeam is really pushing VUL, I just received an e-mail from the renewals team that the per-socket pricing and maintenance renewal and support pricing will increase by 15% (!!!) on January 1st, 2020. Subscription pricing will not be impacted it notes.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Actually, there's no connection to VUL. This is the usual periodic adjustment of socket pricing, and the real trigger is v10. The following is my answer to a similar comment on Reddit:

Veeam has been adjusting price for socket licenses periodically throughout its history to account for the increasing VM density per socket due to host hardware advancements. Consolidating virtual infrastructure on fewer sockets effectively reduces Veeam price per protected VM, so keeping the socket price intact would directly impact profitability. And I don't believe any of our customers will benefit from Veeam running out of money and having to look to get bought by some VC firm, which is where most of our competitors ended up by now (this is where the real money squeezing will start).

We do also try to always time these price increases to new major releases, which significantly increase the value of our product, giving us another valid reason to increase price for new customers.

Unfortunately, renewals price is also impacted by this increase, because it is calculated as a percent off of MSRP. This is however not entirely unfair, because over the years, we saw most customers renewing less and less sockets with each hardware refresh they do, for the very same reason. In fact, even with this price increase, we are quite behind with our price comparing to where it should be. This is mostly because we didn't increase the socket price for the past 4 years, where as previously we would revise prices once every 1-2 years.

However, pre-paying maintenance for multiple years completely solves this issue, as you pay the current price for all future years.