Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jahilton2002
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: John Hilton

Is S2D actually supported?

Post by jahilton2002 »

We have Veeam backup & Replication that we use/d to back up our standalone Hyper-V Hosts.

We have now added a 3 node S2D cluster (Server 2019) and want to use Veeam backup & Replication to back up the VMs on the S2D cluster.

Is this officially supported?

if not, I'm thinking of having my my S2D clustered VMs "replicate" to a standalone Hyper-V host (Server 2019) to which i'll back up the way i have been doing for years.

Is there any plans of added S2D support if there isn't support at the mo?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Is S2D actually supported?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello John,

To make sure we are on the same page, can you please clarify if you are referring to agent backup or VM backup (since it's agent backup sub-forum)? Thanks!
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

Oh sorry i've posted this in the wrong area.

Its VM backup sorry
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

Anybody successfully back up a S2D cluster?

I'm replicating from our cluster to a standalone Hyper-V and performing the back up from that.

The issue with this is, if i need to restore a file, it expects the VM to be online to restore. I have to do a "copy to" restore and then manually browse to the VM file server that's online to restore the files.

Am i doing this the wrong way?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello John,

Sorry for the keeping silence. Here is the recommendation from Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practices guide:
For Storage Spaces direct (S2D) Clusters only On-Host proxy mode is available because of the local storage used by S2D.

When configuring a hyper converged infrastructure based on Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct one limitation to know about is that a volume (CSV) hosting virtual machines is owned by a single node of the cluster at a given time. This implies that all IOs (including backup workload generated by all nodes) will be served by the single node owning the volume.

A good rule of thumb to avoid such potential bottleneck is to create a number of volumes (CSV) equal or 2 times greater than the number of nodes composing the cluster, spreading IOs servicing across all nodes.
The issue with this is, if i need to restore a file, it expects the VM to be online to restore. I have to do a "copy to" restore and then manually browse to the VM file server that's online to restore the files.
To make sure we are on the same page - you are referring to file level restore functionality, right? Thanks!
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

Yes in that recover instance it was file level restore functionality.

Thanks for the link i'll have a good read and report my findings.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the clarification!
This is expected. File level restore is possible only to the original location (i.e. original VM), copy to can restore files to the server where backup browser has been started (i.e. Veeam B&R server or server with Remote Console). Additionally, you can specify path to the shared folder in the path dialogue (instead of selecting the local folder). Hope this helps!
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

That's great thanks for your support.

Are there any guides to configure Veeam with a clustered S2D setup?

I'm backing up a replica at the moment, not the clustered vms directly.

Cheers and thanks again.
FTT=2>
Lurker

Post by FTT=2> »

Thanks for the clarification as to the backup and recovery process of a S2D/ReFS cluster, would there be any other benefits or drawbacks of deploying an S2D cluster for future backup with Veeam?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Right now, you can protect each node separately.
I cannot share any ETA on when the full support will be available.

It's too early to talk about any benefits or drawbacks.

Thanks!
GATYRA
Lurker
Full Name: GATYRA

Post by GATYRA »

Dima P. wrote: Sep 23, 2019 1:29 pm Thanks for the clarification!

This is expected. File level restore is possible only to the original location (i.e. original VM), copy to can restore files to the server where backup browser has been started (i.e. Veeam B&R server or server with Remote Console). Additionally, you can specify path to the shared folder in the path dialogue (instead of selecting the local folder). Hope this helps!
We have now added a 3 node S2D cluster (Server 2019) and want to use Veeam backup & Replication to back up the VMs on the S2D cluster.
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

We are replicating to another server and backing up the vms from that replica. Of course were fortunate enough to have a "spare" server outside of the S2D cluster.
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

Looking at upgrading to v10 after my month-end completes.

Is S2D fully supported yet? (the release notes are alittle vague surrounding that subject).

Are there any docs regarding the setup up of S2D yet?

Keep up the great work!
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

V10 up and running, it's a lot quicker, happy so far...... with regards to S2D cluster back up, i've gotten further also!

It can now "see" my cluster name, the members of the cluster and the vms both in the cluster along with which vm are on which node.

I'm after a guide or some official documentation on best practices on how to configure this for S2D.

The official v10 release notes say the S2D is now officially supported using the managed servers section (as described above). But i'd like to understand more on how this works.

If i added each of my nodes, the vms are distributed across them evenly, if a vm jumps to another node, will veeam create a duplicate backup for the vm as it on a different node?

Any info would be great.

Cheers