Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
UampsIT
Novice
Liked: never

Copy backups to a second repository

Post by UampsIT »

I currently have backup jobs and backup copy jobs going to a Data Domain repository to meet retention policies. Our policy also states that these need to go to a second Data Domain in a remote office. How can I copy the data in the first DD to the second DD? Can this be done efficiently in Veeam? I don't want to use the DD utilities since we don't know how long we will be keeping this equipment. We are using VBR 9.5.4.2866.

Thanks!
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Copy backups to a second repository

Post by jmmarton »

Could you use backup copy jobs to the secondary DD?

Joe
UampsIT
Novice

Post by UampsIT »

I was hoping for a more efficient method. That would mean having 3 backup/backup copy jobs to do what I was able to do in a single job on our old backup software. Timing with that many jobs going could become an issue also.
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

The entire purpose of a BCJ is to copy backups from Repository A to Repository B. And since a BCJ can be linked as a secondary destination in a primary backup job, that means the BCJ will automatically copy RPs after the backup job finishes. That should not cause an issue.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Joe
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Yes, I totally agree that backup copy is the best option in this case.

By the way, do you have backup and backup copy running to the same repository on a local site?
If it's true, I will suggest to use only one backup copy job which transfers backup data to a remote site from local repository: allows you to follow 3-2-1 rule and get rid of potential timing issue.

Thanks!
UampsIT
Novice

Post by UampsIT »

Yes, I have a backup job and a backup copy job aimed at the local repository to meet local retention policy and have another backup copy job pointed at the remote repository to meet the offsite requirements of the retention policy. This system does work, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution. As easy as most things are in VBR I was surprised that it took that many steps. So I thought I would ask and see if there was something I was missing in the setup of the jobs. A shortcut so to speak.

Thanks!
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

Why are you doing both a backup job and copy job to the local repo? Is it for GFS? If so, please note that GFS in primary jobs is coming in v10. If that's your use case then you may be able to eliminate one of your copy jobs.

Joe