Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MSc
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Martin Schenker

Quick Migration failed, which logs to check?

Post by MSc »

We are using Quick Migration for the first time, so please be patient

We tried to move a large VM from a standalone Server to a small cluster, but this just fails with a rather generic message... this was the second try.

Code: Select all

07.11.2019 01:13:53 :: Failed to process VM Windows Server Splunk at 2019-11-07T011353 Error: The name 'Windows Server Splunk' already exists.  
This is the only error I can see... where are the log files located for a more detailed analysis? Both drives have been copied acc. to the Action list. I can see the VM on the target datastore with all the files.

Or is there a quick fix?!

Thanks, Martin
MSc
Enthusiast

Re: Quick Migration failed, which logs to check?

Post by MSc »

Just found out that the system is complaining about different CPU functions on source and target servers... both are HP servers but with slightly diff. CPU sets.
Source has an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2695 v2 @ 2.40GHz, the Target an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v2 @ 2.60GHz
I'm a bit puzzled why this seems to be a problem for the VM migration?!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hello Martin,

Looks like there is an existing machine with the same name on the target. Logs analysis should shed more light on the situation.

We always recommend discussing any technical errors and issues directly with our support team. Our engineers will be happy to share knowledge on logs analysis methodology in addition to providing a solution.

Please note, that when you post about any technical error or issue on the forum you must include a support case ID into your post. According to Veeam Forum Rules, topics missing a support case ID will be eventually removed by forum moderators.

I hope for your understanding. Thanks.
MSc
Enthusiast

Post by MSc »

Yes, I know! That's why I was asking WHERE the logs are located... couldn't find the Quick Migration logs under %ProgramData%\Veeam\Backup
Am I looking in the wrong place?

In order to safe time and efforts I rather prepare all the detail in advance for a call...
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Just make sure you upload all the logs to the case. This article should help. Please post your case ID once you have it.
MSc
Enthusiast

Post by MSc »

? So I'm not allowed to look at the logs myself? Sorry, that's not a good answer.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

The paths to the log files are mentioned in the provided KB article.
MSc
Enthusiast

Post by MSc »

There seems to be a misunderstanding... I know where the general Veeam logs are... but I would like to know WHICH log file(s) contains the information about the Quick Migration process.

I assumed that there's a stand-alone log for that which does not seem to be the case. I found some infos in the SVc.VeeamBackup.log but not the failure reason...

Sending ALL logs seems a real waste of time and bandwidth... the system is quite difficult to reach and data transfer a hassle. But I'll jump through the hoops...

Because this was the second try of the Quick Migration I hoped to find the REAL cause in the logs... the error " Error: The name 'Windows Server Splunk' already exists. " points to a stalled first try... but I haven't got the error for that. So I'll leave that to the poor tech team to sift through the logs.

Case #03851901 was created.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

I know where the general Veeam logs are... but I would like to know WHICH log file(s) contains the information about the Quick Migration process.
Quick Migration logs should be located in "C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Quick_Migration_Job\Job.QM.<StartTime>.log" in this case.
MSc
Enthusiast

Post by MSc »

Hi Oleg... thanks to wishr (Fedor) I uploaded the wrong logs, wasted time and efforts of the Veeam team and me AND had to go back and extract the right logs again with looking incompetent in face of the customer.

That's exactly NOT the way to operate. Fedor, if you don't know the answer, don't post something wrong. This was really UNhelpful...
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Martin,

I appreciate your feedback, but it feels like there is some misunderstanding.

The KB article I linked before includes a list of directories containing logs required for analysis. This list includes the folder containing Quick Migration logs and logs of other jobs as well. How it could be possible that you've uploaded wrong logs?

In any way, when you'd like to get a solution to any technical issue ASAP and in order to simply save your time, you should contact our technical support team and raise a support case in the first place, as requested when you click the "New Topic" button.

Regards,
Fedor