Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
benwaynet
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Benway

Redesigning my veeam install

Post by benwaynet »

Currently I have a windows server with a few TB that I'm filling up. I have veeam installed on that back and I backup over the network.

I need more storage and I'd like to increase the performance. I haven't looked into the veeam virtual machine yet.

Is there any good design docs so I understand more about the virtual machine option and the best way to design it. I also need to figure out how I'm going to get the additional space for backups (more internal storage,DAS,NAS,ISCI,etc)

thanks,jb
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Redesigning my veeam install

Post by foggy »

Jason, have you read our F.A.Q. section about virtual appliance mode? I think it could give you some understanding of the subject. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask here.

Thanks.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

With Veeam licensed per esx socket you can add a second Veeam server without a new Veeam license. You can have a mix of physical and VMs veeam servers increasing performance each time you add one. Using a NAS allows to expand storage. You then get the enterprise program which creates one report daily of all jobs. I am up to 4 now, all physical but only because I had backupexec tape servers already in place stuffed with hard drives
benwaynet
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Benway

Post by benwaynet »

I think I'm leaning toward a new physical with some HBAs in it. Am I reading correctly that veeam mounts all the LUNs ESX can see (as long as I've zoned correctly) and some how back ups though the mounted LUN?

Now I just need to find about 8TB of storage with good performance but cheap..sounds like Isci is recommend over smb if its not local storage.

thanks for the tips.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

I have my veeam servers with 100 gig for C and 9 tb F drive of local sata disks on a raid 5 controler. Preaty low cost. I was just using drives without raid but some backups needed more than 2 tb and my controler couldnt run the 3 tb drives . I also added a netgear 2400 with 8 3tb drives, still not to costly.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Jason, that's right. New physical server with direct SAN access is arguably best case for Veeam install, if you have an option to do this. Not just from efficient source data access standpoint, but this also provides you with cheap and fast target storage option with local RAID storage, as Larry had already mentioned.
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

larry wrote:With Veeam licensed per esx socket you can add a second Veeam server without a new Veeam license. You can have a mix of physical and VMs veeam servers increasing performance each time you add one.
For multiple Veeam servers, gotta factor in the Windows server licensing costs as well :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Unless you just reuse your existing Windows servers... remember that backup activities are typically scheduled for off-hours, when everything else sleeps ;)
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

larry wrote:I have my veeam servers with 100 gig for C and 9 tb F drive of local sata disks on a raid 5 controler. Preaty low cost.
Similar config here, except I've deployed RAID-10. Re-purposed a decommissioned 2950 with 2TB WD RE4 drives and a new Perc-6i controller (supports SATA NCQ to get the best from the RE4's). CPUs are the limiting factor (2x 5110), but it manages 80MB/s even so.

I went for RAID-10 because the creation of roll-backs and synthetics is highly intensive on small writes, hence should be significantly faster than RAID-5.