Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
daniel.centurion
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel

SQL Failover Cluster - Supported Storage Options?

Post by daniel.centurion »

Hello,
I am designing a Microsoft SQL Failover Cluster Instance on Vmware that can be backed up with Veeam Agents. This cluster will be configured as what Vmware calls a “Cluster Across Boxes,” which means the cluster nodes will run across different virtualization hosts. I want the backups be application-aware, and I want to be able to restore them using Veeam Explorer for SQL.
However, I am stuck here: I understand that Veeam needs to be able to snapshot the shared volume for the cluster nodes in order to take an application-aware backup of the database. The problem is that I cannot find a single supported configuration of shared storage for SQL FCI nodes that Vmware can snapshot.
For shared storage, I have considered:
  • RDM disks, but Vmware requires that they run in “physical mode” for C.A.B. configuration, which means that they can’t be quiesced for a snapshot.
  • SMB share, but I understand Veeam cannot take a snapshot of a CIFS share.
  • The obvious solution, Cluster Shared Volumes, are not supported by Veeam either.
Is what I am trying to do possible with Veeam? Is my understanding that the Veeam Agents need to be able to quiesce the shared storage for the FCI correct? If this is possible, can someone recommend a working configuration for shared storage for a SQL failover cluster?

Thanks!

-----------------------
- Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5u4b

- Veeam Agent for Windows v3.0

- VMware vSphere 6.7

- Windows 2016 Standard
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SQL Failover Cluster - Supported Storage Options?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. With agents inside the VMs, there is no VMware snapshot. :-)

EDIT fixed wrong statement
RDM / shared volume is fine. CSV and SMB share do not work with the agent.

Best regards,
Hannes
daniel.centurion
Novice

Hello,

This page in the manual indicates that Cluster Shared Volumes are not supported -- are you saying it is incorrect?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Also, you say that RDMs are also supported? I am not clear on whether Veeam can do what I am trying, which is to backup both the cluster nodes and the cluster storage.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
ah sorry, my fault... correct CSV is not supported. But shared volumes are supported. CSVs are for Hyper-V, not for normal Windows Clusters (I sometimes mix these two, sorry for that).
I am not clear on whether Veeam can do what I am trying, which is to backup both the cluster nodes and the cluster storage.
shared volumes are supported.

I use this setup https://www.veeam.com/blog/windows-serv ... uster.html - just replace the iSCSI LUN with an RDM.

Best regards,
Hannes
daniel.centurion
Novice

Hannes, you are the BEST. Thanks! :D