I am designing a Microsoft SQL Failover Cluster Instance on Vmware that can be backed up with Veeam Agents. This cluster will be configured as what Vmware calls a “Cluster Across Boxes,” which means the cluster nodes will run across different virtualization hosts. I want the backups be application-aware, and I want to be able to restore them using Veeam Explorer for SQL.
However, I am stuck here: I understand that Veeam needs to be able to snapshot the shared volume for the cluster nodes in order to take an application-aware backup of the database. The problem is that I cannot find a single supported configuration of shared storage for SQL FCI nodes that Vmware can snapshot.
For shared storage, I have considered:
- RDM disks, but Vmware requires that they run in “physical mode” for C.A.B. configuration, which means that they can’t be quiesced for a snapshot.
- SMB share, but I understand Veeam cannot take a snapshot of a CIFS share.
- The obvious solution, Cluster Shared Volumes, are not supported by Veeam either.
- Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5u4b
- Veeam Agent for Windows v3.0
- VMware vSphere 6.7
- Windows 2016 Standard