Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MPev
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin Peverley

Require Restore reason

Post by MPev »

Apologies if this has been posted or answered but I did try searching first. (You try searching on keywords restore and reason and see where you get!)

When performing a restore I'd like to require a restore reason to be entered (we use a helpdesk ticket number for reference). Failing being able to force it, is there a way to remove the checkbox to not show the page, or a way to restore the page if the checkbox was accidentally selected?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Require Restore reason

Post by PetrM »

Hi Martin!

Could you please clarify what checkbox are you talking about?

For example, you can enter restore reason at this step of restore wizard.

Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Martin.

There is no way to enforce that page, however you can restore hidden Restore Reason page by editing user.config file under

Code: Select all

C:\Users\[you_account_name]\AppData\Local\Veeam_Software_Group_GmbH\
Open it and search for keyword "reason" - there is a setting "Show[Type_of_Restore]Reason" for every wizard - you can set True\False depending on your needs to restore hidden Restore Reason Pages.

Hope that helps!
MPev
Novice

Post by MPev »

Petr, it's that checkbox on the image you linked: "Do not show me this page again".

I want to force an input in the Restore Reason field, we shouldn't be able to proceed without one. Sure, someone could just hit the spacebar but we can deal with that.

Failing being able to force an entry, could we disable that checkbox? The concern is that someone checks it accidentally and now we're not prompted for the reason. If it's me doing the restore then I'm familiar with it and expect to see Restore Reason, but if it's a junior admin then they may not expect to see it and wouldn't know anything was wrong.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

You could push out the regkey Egor mentioned automatically which would insure even if someone checked the box not to display the page that the page would be re-enabled the next time the VBR console is launched.

Joe
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

Based on this thread and since this was already requested a few times before, we've just added a registry key to v10 that will disable the ability to select "Do not show me this page again" checkbox, and require at least one symbol provided as the restore reason (so that users can't just Next > Next > Next this step). Kudos to UI devs for this last minute development :D

UIRequireRestoreReason (DWORD) = 1

Note that this will work for new console installations only. If the wizard step was already "hidden" by the user, then you will need to do a one-time edit of the user.config file per Egor's post above on each affected backup console.
MPev
Novice

Post by MPev » 1 person likes this post

You guys are great!
runste
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rune Stene

Post by runste »

Hi all.

Where in the registry is the UIRequireRestoreReason (DWORD) located?
And is it the same for upcoming v11 ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

All of our registry values are located in the immediately obvious place of the backup server registry, and this location never changes between versions: just follow the vendor and product name in the HKLM\SOFTWARE hive. But in this particular case, please make sure you've caught the user.config part in the discussion above, since what are the chances you landed in this thread with a clean install ;)
tpayton
Veeam Software
Liked: 81 times
Full Name: Tyler Payton

Post by tpayton » 1 person likes this post

https://www.veeam.com/kb4432 has been created to document the topic discussed in this thread.
Tyler Payton
Customer Experience Manager / KB Manager