Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
alex.talmage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Auxiliary accounts in V4

Post by alex.talmage »

Hi All,

I've just been flicking through the "Whats New" document for v4 and noticed the new auxiliary accounts feature to improve throttling. I notice it states "Faster Sharepoint and Onedrive Backups". Does having auxiliary accounts not improve the impact throttling has on Exchange backups? If so, I'd be interested in the background around this.

TIA
Alex
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Auxiliary accounts in V4

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Alex,

The throttling mechanism works differently for Exchange and SharePoint. SharePoint connections get throttled when the frequency and number of requests from a single account per certain period of time exceed the threshold. That's why distributing the load between multiple backup accounts helps to prevent the 'overheating' of SharePoint and OneDrive connections.

Exchange connections get throttled per mailbox, i.e. when the number of requests to a certain mailbox exceeds the limit. And to reduce throttling risks when processing Exchange data, VBO detects when a mailbox gets 'hot' and switches between mailboxes allowing to cool down the 'hotter' ones.

Thanks!
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

Post by MCH_helferlein »

Hi all.

I just added three auxiliary accounts. What to do next?
Or is this just a set and forget task?

I do not see any option, where to connect those users whithin a backup job or within the repository...

Thanks
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Peter,

It's just set and forget. If the pool of accounts is configured correctly (i.e. all passwords are set) it'll be automatically used for any SharePoint or OneDrive job.

Note though, that 3 accounts might be not enough (throttling errors still may occur). We recommend adding at least 8 accounts per each proxy that handles SharePoint/OneDrive jobs for a given organization.

Thanks!
MCH_helferlein
Expert

Post by MCH_helferlein » 2 people like this post

Thanks Polina.

I just added 8 accounts and the Sharepoint Job that took usually around 5-6 hours takes now 50 minutes :-)
Cool stuff..

Big thanks to Veeam!

Regards
ericstar
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric S

Post by ericstar »

Hi Peter,

Can I ask what's the "size of SharePoint data" & "number of SharePoint sites" you've got used to spend 5-6 hours and now took 50 mins to complete the backup job, after applying the auxiliary account backup feature? How many auxiliary accounts you've created to achieve this ? We would like to create a similar test case to verify this at my side.

Thanks!
MCH_helferlein
Expert

Post by MCH_helferlein » 1 person likes this post

Hi Eric.

The OneDrive Job consists of around 700 Objects and the Sharepoint Job around 300.
The Repository size of the OD job is 2.5TB and the repository of the SP Job is 2TB.

Every night every job actually only transfers around between 800MB up to 5GB.

But some sharepoint/onedrive sites took sometimes hours to search trough.

Now I have implemented 8 account as Polina recommend and both job run between 40 minutes up to 2 hours. But not 5 to 6 hours anymore as before.
Perhaps I will add some more accounts to check if it could speed up even more.

Regards
Peter
alex.talmage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by alex.talmage »

Polina wrote: Dec 02, 2019 9:37 am Hi Alex,

The throttling mechanism works differently for Exchange and SharePoint. SharePoint connections get throttled when the frequency and number of requests from a single account per certain period of time exceed the threshold. That's why distributing the load between multiple backup accounts helps to prevent the 'overheating' of SharePoint and OneDrive connections.

Exchange connections get throttled per mailbox, i.e. when the number of requests to a certain mailbox exceeds the limit. And to reduce throttling risks when processing Exchange data, VBO detects when a mailbox gets 'hot' and switches between mailboxes allowing to cool down the 'hotter' ones.

Thanks!
Excellent explanation, thanks Polina!