Agentless, cloud-native backup for Amazon Web Services (AWS)
saxie
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Werner Butterworth

Cannot attach volume with Marketplace codes as the instance is not in the 'stopped' state

Post by saxie »

Hi guys

Getting this error when trying to backup an EC2 instance which was deployed via Marketplace. Any way around this?

Cannot attach volume <volume id> with Marketplace codes as the instance <instance id> is not in the 'stopped' state
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Cannot attach volume with Marketplace codes as the instance is not in the 'stopped' state

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Saxie,

Can you check in the description of that EC2 instance if it has a marketplace code attached to it?

I believe this is a limitation in AWS but want to be sure
saxie
Enthusiast

Re: Cannot attach volume with Marketplace codes as the instance is not in the 'stopped' state

Post by saxie »

It does have an AMI ID.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey Saxie,

If I am not wrong, then this is an AWS limitation. AWS doesn't allow to attach a root volume of a instance that has MarketPlace Product Code associated with it to another instance, unless that instance is stopped.

However, I would appreciate it if you could create a support call (and tell us what the support ID is so I can work on it with the different teams), we might be able to do something, or we need to build in a different warning.

Thanks
Mike
saxie
Enthusiast

Post by saxie »

Done. Case #: 03917560

Thanks!
poulipop
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by poulipop »

Hello,

We have a paid subscription for Veeam AWS and we encounter the same issue. It's EC2 from aws marketplace : Debian GNU/Linux 9.10 (Stretch) (https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B ... duct_title)

What is the workflow to bypass this type of error ? do we have to rebuild EC2 from a snapshot ?

Thanks for your quick response.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi, please open a support case for the hotfix to this solution.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
vchris
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: vChris

Post by vchris »

Hello,

I'm a partner and I have the same issue. We are preparing a Veeam On Tour demo and a POC for a customer.

The support can't provide us the hotfixe as we have not purchased that product in particular.
Case 04029246.

Can you help us ? Thanks a lot.
Knight of the always on
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi Chris,

I see in the case messages that you received our standard reply about how we support FREE/NFR editions and the mention of the policy around hotfixes. However, there hasn't been a reply yet from someone from support about this specific issue to your case so let's wait for them to respond. I will follow the case from my side as well but normally you should be able to get the required hotfix for this specific issue.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
vchris
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: vChris

Post by vchris »

Thanks Nils, The support indeed contacted me a few minutes ago :-D
Knight of the always on
carlos.luna
Novice
Full Name: Carlos Luna

Post by carlos.luna »

Hello, we just started using VEEAM for AWS (free edition), but we are getting same error when try to backups some EC2 VMs:

Processing '<EC2 VM>' failed: Cannot attach volume '<vol id>' with Marketplace codes as the instance '<instance id>' is not in the 'stopped' state.

Does anybody has a workaround in order to backup that kind of EC2 VMs?

Thanks and regards, Carlos Luna
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson »

Open a ticket with support. There is a fix for this issue.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
unfeomateo
Novice
Full Name: Matt C

Post by unfeomateo »

Any update on this. I am having the same issue
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

@unfeomateo read my post above yours. Open a support case and they will give you the fix.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
unfeomateo
Novice

Post by unfeomateo »

Of course I did that but Veeam says they only respond to 25% of the emails. So wondering if this has ever been fixed for anyone.
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

It’s been fixed for anyone who has that issue. Support will respond to all support request. If you have a free product they will give you email support. What is your case number
unfeomateo
Novice

Post by unfeomateo »

Case # 04176387
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

I see the case. I will push the fix to that case.