Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sosborne
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Simon Osborne

Veeam Backup Failed to find Crypto Key

Post by sosborne »

I am running Veeam Backup 9.5 u4a. Recently I had an Active Full backup fail with the message 'Failed to find crypto key', and it failed again on the retries.

First thing I tried to do was to remove the job from config and re-import it as advised in the following post. All of my backups use the same password (and are functioning ok I would like to add) so I was nervous trying other suggestions.

vmware-vsphere-f24/copy-jobs-failed-to- ... 53774.html

However, it now says 'Unable to repair encryption keys because they are not available or corrupted' when attempting re-import after a rescan. Since then I have tried changing the password as suggested in the earlier post (and others). My other backups are unaffected but the problematic one I still can't import

https://www.snurf.co.uk/veeam/error-fai ... key-veeam/

I have not moved the backup files at all. The job in question only does Active Fulls at the start of the month. I have a number of similar jobs that do the same I have had no problems with those and I have a copy of all monthly jobs offsite.

And I have raised a ticket since the re-import issue (they suggested changing the password too). Webex to come soon.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Backup Failed to find Crypto Key

Post by veremin »

Hard to say without seeing debug logs and actual environment, so, let's see what support team find during Webex call.

Also, please, share your support ticket number for the convenience of future readers.

Thanks!
sosborne
Enthusiast

Post by sosborne » 1 person likes this post

Case # 03692495
sosborne
Enthusiast

Post by sosborne »

A Crypto key checker has been run and we await analysis of the results.
acatic
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by acatic »

What was the result of this? I am having the same issue now. About to call Support.
acatic
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by acatic »

Before calling Support, I checked out this link - https://veeamvanguards.com/error-failed ... key-veeam/

Fixed.

Rather than overwriting the existing password, I just created a new password record using the same password, and changed it to that record for this one job. Success. (I was afraid it was going to demand a new full, but it continued where it stopped.)

This affected only one of my nine regular jobs. It was running fine till then, and don't see why it would have changed.

The actual failure hit the job after all the VMs were backed up and before it started the transform to merge oldest backup into the full. (Reverse Incremental job.)

I may call Support if it resurfaces.