Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jbrullemans
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: John Brullemans

provide service console credentials.

Post by jbrullemans »

Can i expect an increase of backup / restore speed if i enter service console credentials if so what speed can i expect? We are using Virtual Appliance mode.
At the moment we don't have remote SSH enabled on our ESX server. If this would increase our backup and restore significantly i could enable it. But what is the risk of it?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: provide service console credentials.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello John,

There is no risk, providing service console credentials will surely make full VM restore procedures faster as well as replica jobs that are using these hosts as destination targets. You may want to search these forums for some examples from our existing users for more info.

On a side note, in order to increase source data retrieval with VA mode, make sure you have 4 vCPUs assigned to this VM and you're not starving on CPU resources while backup jobs are running.

Thank you.
jbrullemans
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: John Brullemans

Post by jbrullemans »

Hi Vitaly S.

I have 4vcpu for the VM but when the backup runs i can see that all 4 vcpu are nearly 99% of load. Will adding more vCPU's speed up the backups?
At the moment i cannot add more because of the restriction of VMware Vsphere 4 license. It only allows me to configure 4 vCPU's.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Generally getting high CPU load especially when running multiple jobs is quite normal as compression is being performed on-the-fly. Adding more vCPU's will definitely help but if you have no ability to do so, try to configure jobs with less compression settings, this will increase CPU load and speed up the backup process, however resulting in larger backups.