Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rasmusan
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasmus Andersen

"archiving" functionality within Veeam

Post by rasmusan »

Hi

I have got a request from a customer, which I would like to hear what people think about...

Customer is running Veeam B&R 9.5 with backups going to local disk storage and backup copy to LTO-7 tape library.

Customer would like some kind of "archive-like" functionality with Veeam, for their file server backups, but with the ability to restore with a 1-day (or even less) interval for fx 2 year old backups.

As of now, backup are being copied to tape with a weekly full and daily incrementals - these tapes are stored infinitely.... however they would like to use less tapes and have a tape set for say every ½ year or so, instead of 1 pr. week, but still have the ability to restore with 1 day granularity.

I can't really see best way to achieve this (if possible at all currently) - a very long incremental chain, in an "archive" job, maybe could solve this, but I dont think such long chains are supported with Veeam and neither a very good idea with regards to integrity.

Thanks...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: "archiving" functionality within Veeam

Post by veremin »

Two ideas (store two year worth of data with daily granularity and use less tapes) appear to contradict each other. You can switch from weekly to monthly full and therefore reduce tape space requirements or wait till v10 and discover its Archive Tier functionality. Thanks.
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

Hi,
We've had not dissimilar requests to hold years of dailies on disk.

Normal we highlight that there is a finite limit on the number of restore points within a backup or backup copy GFS set...
This limit varies dependent on the storage and application being used, but it's always going to be there.

IF there really is a business case for Continuous Data Protection, Journaling or Extended data retention for a service than there are more appropriate solutions out there than keeping backups.
Get the business to underwrite the costs of researching those.
umenz
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ulrich Menz

Post by umenz »

two Years are a Long time, but the Need is still important for me.
Is this really made in V10 ?

Ulrich
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

If you're talking about tape archiving specifically, then 9.5 U4 released 1 year ago did add support for GFS Media sets.

Archive Tier concept has been refocused on object storage, and the ability to archive GFS backups to object storage was also released as a part of 9.5 U4

Thanks!
umenz
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ulrich Menz

Post by umenz »

Ok you mean storing Backup Repository in the same way but in other repositories. This needs massive space.

what I think is a Transformation of the Backup Content to an Archive Container to prevent loosing everything.
This needs a browser with a timeline view or Tree view to find such contend and versions. ( EM shows 100x the same file, but only a change in a file is necessary for an Archive). The VEEAM Backup Repository is orientated on the time of the backup. This is ideal and usefully for shortterm Backups.

Interesting is an Archive Repository with a powerfull Database with complete deduplication to handle endless Fileserver contend.
So what I mean is a second archive unit to handle longterm Backups.

In my case we must use a second product to archive and handle file version tracking. This needs to start daily a crawling over all Files without the intelligence of CBT etc., but the source for this is already existing in the shortterm backup repository.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

If you're talking about file level backup and archiving, then we have this feature coming in v10 (NAS backup). Take a look once it comes out next month, and let us know if it meets your file archival needs.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

Is this file archival something like an GFS type archive to a capacity tier?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Something similar. It does allow to archive older file versions to object storage.
EdgarRicharte
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Post by EdgarRicharte »

Gostev wrote: Jan 08, 2020 12:23 am If you're talking about file level backup and archiving, then we have this feature coming in v10 (NAS backup). Take a look once it comes out next month, and let us know if it meets your file archival needs.
So you are saying v10 will be released in Feb?
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

You may want to keep your eye on this site.

https://go.veeam.com/v10

Joe