"archiving" functionality within Veeam

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

"archiving" functionality within Veeam

Veeam Logoby rasmusan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:12 am

Hi

I have got a request from a customer, which I would like to hear what people think about...

Customer is running Veeam B&R 9.5 with backups going to local disk storage and backup copy to LTO-7 tape library.

Customer would like some kind of "archive-like" functionality with Veeam, for their file server backups, but with the ability to restore with a 1-day (or even less) interval for fx 2 year old backups.

As of now, backup are being copied to tape with a weekly full and daily incrementals - these tapes are stored infinitely.... however they would like to use less tapes and have a tape set for say every ½ year or so, instead of 1 pr. week, but still have the ability to restore with 1 day granularity.

I can't really see best way to achieve this (if possible at all currently) - a very long incremental chain, in an "archive" job, maybe could solve this, but I dont think such long chains are supported with Veeam and neither a very good idea with regards to integrity.

Thanks...
rasmusan
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Rasmus Andersen

Re: "archiving" functionality within Veeam

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:06 am

Two ideas (store two year worth of data with daily granularity and use less tapes) appear to contradict each other. You can switch from weekly to monthly full and therefore reduce tape space requirements or wait till v10 and discover its Archive Tier functionality. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: "archiving" functionality within Veeam

Veeam Logoby DeadEyedJacks » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi,
We've had not dissimilar requests to hold years of dailies on disk.

Normal we highlight that there is a finite limit on the number of restore points within a backup or backup copy GFS set...
This limit varies dependent on the storage and application being used, but it's always going to be there.

IF there really is a business case for Continuous Data Protection, Journaling or Extended data retention for a service than there are more appropriate solutions out there than keeping backups.
Get the business to underwrite the costs of researching those.
Microsoft, NetApp, Symantec, Veeam, Veritas and VMware certified professional
MCTS, MCSE, NCDA, NCIE-BR, ASC, SCS, VMTSP, VTS, VCP
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: DeadEyedJacks

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication