Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
badams
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Bert Adams

Azure Storage Problems

Post by badams »

Hi everyone. I am not sure if I should just ask this here, because it is a very non-specific issue. It is more about my not knowing much about Azure than it does about how Veeam uses it.

But, given I am a Microsoft Partner, I do get $100 of storage space monthly and since Azure works seamlessly with Veeam, I would be stupid to not use it. But, that's the problem. I am stupid.

When I opened my Azure account with Microsoft, it was completely overwhelming. I set up simple storage with a Blob, I believe, but when I went through the Veeam Azure wizard, it didn't find the storage. After reading a lot, it seemed I needed to use a VM (an Azure VM), which I did. This then allowed Veeam's wizard to find it and use it, but I am not confident I know what I am doing. Plus, it is making the cost around $135 monthly, and I am only backing a fairly small amount of data.

I suppose I would be best off learning more about Azure and setting it up correctly. So, I am not sure if I am asking in the right place. Any help, though, would be appreciated.

Bert
rajesh.r988
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN

Re: Azure Storage Problems

Post by rajesh.r988 »

Hi,

you can setup VBR server in on-prem and use Azure storage as an external repository or use scale-out repository

if you referring fully cloud setup, deploy a low-cost VM from model and attach the blog storage to VBR
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Azure Storage Problems

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Bert.
You must have went a wrong wizard in Veeam. "Veeam Azure Wizard" you are talking about must have been one for Direct Restore to Azure, adding an account with permissions to Azure infrastructure(compute). That wizard allows Veeam to seamlessly restore any backup directly to Azure VMs.
You case, however, is about Azure Blob storage use, which is a different story. Like Rajesh mentioned, check Object Storage wizard for Scale Out Backup Repository Capacity tier configuration. For that, you need no Azure VMs present, just a valid blob account settings done!
/Cheers!