Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Restored system won't boot; probably issue with MBR source and UEFI target?

Post by daystrom »

I am performing a test bare metal restore of a server 2012 r2 machine. When I was kicking off the restore there was a message presented "OS in backup uses MBR disk. This may cause issues on UEFI systems." The restore completed but the system boots to bios and while it lists the sdd that the restore is on, it seems quite averse to booting from it. The bios on this Asus board was set to "UEFI only"; I changed it to "Legacy OPROM only" and it still fails to boot from the ssd.

I've read maybe 5 threads here on topics like this and the only path forward seems to be to attempt to convert the restored partitions from MBR to GPT. Is this correct? I had thought that the switch to legacy bios would do the trick.

Veeam Agent for Windows 3.0.2.1170.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restored system won't boot; probably issue with MBR source and UEFI target?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as it is a technical issue... can you please post the case number?

What I have heard from a customer is, that he had to switch to BIOS before doing the restore. But I never tested it on my own.

Best regards,
Hannes
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

I don't have a case number. I use the free version of agent and they no longer allow me to create a case. I realize there is a note on the forums that without a case number the posting may be deleted, but where else am I supposed to ask at this point? I've asked about this before in the forums but never got a reply.

As I mentioned I did change the bios and it didn't solve it. I had expected it to do so.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

you wrote that you did it afterwards. My customer said "before".
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

Oh, before the restore. I didn't try that. I will, thanks.
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

I've redone the restore a couple of times now. First I created the restore media using MBR, and then restored with that. The restore seemed to be succesful, but it won't boot. It starts to load windows, fails a few times, and I end up with the Choose an Option, Continue/Exit, Troubleshoot, and Turn off your PC. I then tried turning off virtualization support in the bios, with the same result. I then restored from scratch with MBR and virtualization off. The only difference is that the restore logs were not able to be written to disk, with "file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Failed..."

This is the most problematic restore I've encountered yet. What else can I do?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

as it is a technical issue... can you please post the case number?
please see the forum rules... before posting a technical issue, please contact support
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

I have asked about this policy before, including on this thread, and not one response about it to date. Here is what I wrote a few days ago, just above:

"I don't have a case number. I use the free version of agent and they no longer allow me to create a case. I realize there is a note on the forums that without a case number the posting may be deleted, but where else am I supposed to ask at this point? I've asked about this before in the forums but never got a reply."

It seems to mean that a person using the free product is forbidden to create support tickets and also to post the forums. Can you confirm? It's a little hard to believe, which is why I've asked about it before.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

good point, I did not scroll up again - sorry for that!

sure you can post on the forum. and yes, the post might be deleted - most moderators (including me) don't execute the rule that hard :-)
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

Is veeam serious about this policy? Someone using the free products is not welcome to post here?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello daystrom,

You are welcome to use Veeam Community Forums but, unfortunately, some issues can be resolved only with the help of our support team due to the required debug log analysis, luckily we do provide best-effort support even for free products.

You've mentioned that you cannot raise a support ticket, can you please clarify what error code you get when you go to Control Panel > Support > Customer Support in Veeam Agent for Windows Control Panel? Thank you in advance!
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

Here is a screen shot
https://imgur.com/a/bwcBNeP
The Next button remains disabled no matter what I do. It has been like this for something like six months now. I used to be able to create support cases.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

daystrom,

Support portal wont work. Have you tried to open the case directly from Veeam Agent UI? You need to open Control Panel, click menu, select Support and then click on the Customer Support tab. Cheers!
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

ok, have never tried that. Thanks.