Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Guest Credentials Test (Error 12002)

Post by Didi7 »

Hello everybody,

during a Guest Credentials Test I get successful RPC connect but errors during the VIX-test. I know that backup would be possible with RPC, but UAC is not enabled on the VM, so VIX should work as well. It is a Windows Server 2016 VM with VMware Tools 10.2.5.8068406 installed.

The error we get is the following ...

Code: Select all

8/14/2019 12:38:22 PM :: Connecting to guest OS via VIX Error: Cannot connect to host [x.x.x.x] over web services. Login: [XXX@vsphere.local]. Guest Login: [DOMAINname\VBRAdmin].
Could not copy host file ...
Could not copy host file ...
Could not upload file ...
Could not write file ...
Could not receive HTTP response. System error code: 12002
Btw, x.x.x.x is the vCenter-Server address and if I use the BUILTIN Administrator account (VMname\Administrator) of the VM instead of the domain account (DOMAINname\VBRAdmin), VIX can connect!

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Guest Credentials Test (Error 12002)

Post by nielsengelen »

I suggest contacting support for assistance and posting the support case id for future reference, as requested when you click New Topic.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Adrian1980
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times

Post by Adrian1980 » 1 person likes this post

Hello Didi7,

you can crosscheck this:
vmware-vsphere-f24/vix-with-vmware-tool ... 53177.html
In short, there a Problem with VMware-Tools greater 10.1.x and should be fixed with VMware Tools 11.0.

Veeam tries RPC at first and then VIX, Veeam use VIX in case RPC ist not avaible do to firewall policies or something else preventing Veeam from network access to the VM.
If one of them runs, Veeam can do his Job, only if both fails you have a Problem.

Greets,
Adrian
Proud to be a Veeam Certified Architect.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Post by Didi7 »

Hello Adrian1980,

yes, but it depends on what you have configured as default ...

https://www.virtualtothecore.com/veeam- ... using-vss/

I have some VMs running in a DMZ in another environment, which are done via VIX, because there is no network connection desired from VBR-Server to those VMs in the DMZ. There VIX is the only possibility and I have checked again, those VMs all have VMware Tools 10.1.15 installed :)

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Stan44
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stanimir Iliev

Post by Stan44 »

Same error 12002. VIX check fails with xxdomain\xxAdmin password on Windows Server 2019 (17763) using VMware Tools v10.3. After updating Tools to 11.0 VIX check is OK. We are on ESXi 6.7
andy74
Novice
Full Name: AndyCawdell

Post by andy74 »

Just joining in because I'm having trouble with backing up a VM of WS 2012 so updated it to VMware tools 11.x which of course required a reboot and the backup still doesn't work

Error is 1326 - but the credentials I'm using are exactly the ones I used to log onto that particular virtual machine
Stan44
Lurker
Full Name: Stanimir Iliev

Post by Stan44 »

Do you have sufficient rights in that VM? Did you try with Domain\Admin account? In Internet there are articles for that error 1326.
andy74
Novice

Post by andy74 »

Thank you

Okay so I've now use the fully qualified domain name and got a different error - perhaps this is progress!

For information system here is using Veeam v9 update 4 running on WS2016 and the VM Server is vmware 6.5 - the actual virtual machine I'm testing is WS2012

It now says "Error: Current vSphere license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation"
andy74
Novice

Post by andy74 »

Huh

From the user guide ....

"Free ESXi is not supported. Veeam Backup & Replication leverages vSphere and vStorage APIs that are disabled by VMware in free ESXi."