Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BSik
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bogdan Sikorski

individual restoring of NTFS volume mount points

Post by BSik »

Hi,

I know from practice that a full system restore restores NTFS volume mount points, but how can I individually restore them?
If I try "Restore" -> "Individual Files" they get restored as normal directories.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: individual restoring of NTFS volume mount points

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bogdan,

Can you please check if such volume is visible under volume restore functionality? Cheers!
BSik
Novice

Post by BSik »

Hi Dmitry,

just to be more precise: on my server I have a directory in which I create volume mount points for external disks.
One for each new disk. The old mount points remain even if the associated volume/disk is no longer connected.
Whenever I need access to old data I reconnect the old disk and it gets automatically mounted to its corresponding mount point. So basically using just a single directory I have access to all my data.

I am at work right now but will check this evening if the mount points are visible under the volume restore option.

Incidentally this problem arose because I have noticed that yesterday all of my "unconnected" mount points disappeared and only the currently mounted remained. So I just wanted to manually restore the missing volume mount points. But like I wrote before the "volume mount points" get restored not as special but plain directories.
BSik
Novice

Post by BSik »

Hello again Dmitry,

I just checked if using the Restore -> Entire Volumes I might see the volume mount points but no.
Does that mean that we cannot restore individual NTFS Volume Mount Points?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Bogdan,

Thanks for the details. Checking with QA folks, stay tuned.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Mind me asking was this volume included to the scope of the backup as a volume, or you've backed up the folder mount point only? Thanks!
BSik
Novice

Post by BSik »

Hi Dmitry,
my volume mount points are under a directory of the C: drive. I just backup the whole system drive C:

Since they are inactive (no current volume attached) trying to include them as seperate volumes for backup would result in errors as they cannot be accessed at this moment. They remain as persistant mount points for future auto-mounts and will become active again once the "corresponding" volumes are attached to the system.

edit:
I started this thread because after the upgrade to VBR v10 I lost all my inactive volume mount points and it has been confirmed that the upgrade itself performs a system-wide wipe of such mount points during cleanup.
I have opened a new thread in the VBR section (veeam-backup-replication-f2/vbr-update- ... 65174.html) which should give you a more detailed explenation of my sistuation and the need to restore individual volume mount points from a backup.