Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pparks1
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Patrick Parks

Couple of questions about Indexing

Post by pparks1 »

Ok, I have installed Veeam B&R 5.0.2
I have configured a test job, which consists of a single Windows 2008 R2 server, it's configured to index files. And it's reversed incremental
I have setup Veeam Enterprise Manager
I have setup MS Search Server 2010 Express
I have installed Veeam Search

So, I take my first full backup. I go into Enterprise manager, tell it to sync the catalog and such and viola...I can search for files.

So, I go into my 2008R2 box, and Create a file (C:\data\file1.txt) and I put some stuff in it. It's around 6:29pm at this time.

I run another backup, tell it to sync the catalog and viola..I can search for and find C:\data\file1.txt from this server. But strangely, the restore point is from 8/11/2011 at 6:55:00pm...but the Last modified date on the file is reading 8/11/2011 10:29:20pm. I check the VM itself and it's actually marked 6:29:00pm. I check the time zone settings on my workstation, My Veeam Box and my MS Search box...and all show the same time zone and the same time.

So, I go into my 2008R2 VM, and I add a line to C:\data\file1.txt around 7:13:00PM. I then kick off another backup, and then tell it to sync the catalog. The VM shows a modified data of 7:13PM

I search for my file1.txt. And it finds it, but it says that the last modified data is 10:29:20pm still, while the VM restore point is 8/11/2011 at 7:14:00pm

Here is a picture showing what I see

#1) Why is this modification date wrong? it's 3 hours into the future.

#2). And when I do an advanced search and ask for all instances of my file...it shows me the multiple times it was backed up...but the files have the same darn timestamp on them..thus they appear to be the same, but they come from different restore points and are different versions of the file.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Couple of questions about Indexing

Post by Gostev »

1. Looks like it shows UTC time.
2. Not sure where you see the issue? If file was never modified, it's Last Modified time stamp should be the same across all restore points.
pparks1
Influencer

Post by pparks1 »

1> Why would it show UTC time for 1 thing, and EST for the other thing...in the same dialog window?

2> I changed the file. In the second backup which occurred around 6:30pm, C:\data\file1.txt consisted of 1 line. In the third backup, which occurred around 7:15pm, the file had been modified to consist of 2 lines. Thus, I have 2 differing versions of the same file. But when I look at the second and the third timestamp, both show the same 10:29:20 modified data stamp. So, in looking at index results, it seems I have 2 versions, but with same exact time stamp.
pparks1
Influencer

Post by pparks1 »

I'm doing 1 more test,

I created C:\data\file2.txt at 7:44pm. I backed it up. Index results show Restore Point of 8/11/2011 and Last Modified time of 11:44:59PM. (so 4 hours later, UTC time maybe)

I went into C:\data\file2.txt at 8:01pm and added a bunch of stuff. I backed it up. Index results show 2 files, with same name, diff size...but same errant timestamp. If using UTC, I would expect it to at least say 12:01AM now

See the image;

So, if a user said to me, I changed the file during the day on 8/11/2010 and I need the previous version of the file....if I had multiple backups....I would have to actually click on each of the links above to determine which one had the earlier restore point.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I think it would be best for you to open a support case, and provide full logs. Impossible to say anything by just looking at this screenshots - logs investigation is required, and may be a webex. Thanks.
pparks1
Influencer

Post by pparks1 »

Will do, I will give Support a call tomorrow.
pparks1
Influencer

Post by pparks1 »

Still working with support on this issue. They logged in and saw the issue via webex. I've sent numerous logs, etc. After about 2 weeks, they have been unable to duplicate the problem.

today, i built an entirely new environment and duplicated the problem. New ESXi 4.1 host, new vcenter VM, new Veeam VM, new Search Server 2010 Express install, backup of new Windows VM, and problem still persists.

This document from MS says that sharepoint records in GMT and has to be translated via the application; ( I sent this off to support today as well)
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 72cd59389/
pparks1
Influencer

Post by pparks1 »

If anybody was paying attention to this issue that I demonstated, Veeam has confirmed this is a bug and there is currently no ETA on a fix.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Can you elaborate under what circumstances it happens? According to the above, it was hard to duplicate internally - did they tell you what was so special about your environment? Or you can just post a support case number, and I will be able to lookup myself. Thanks!!
pparks1
Influencer

Post by pparks1 »

The case ID is 5142447. As far as being hard to duplicate, it was simple for me to duplicate and I wrote a very detailed message explaining exactly what I did during install.

In a nutshell,
--ESXi 4.1.0 build 260247 installed on a spare Dell PowerEdge 1950 server
--Server 2008 R2 for vCenter Host on ESXi box with VMware Tools installed, set to Eastern Timezone
--Used SQL Express 2005 for vCenter, small inventory size

--Server 2008 R2 for Veeam B&R. VMWare Tools installed, set to Eastern Timezone
--Installed Veeam 5.0.2.230_x64. Used SQL Express instance with a domain based service account
--Installed Veeam Enterprise Manager...Left all settings at default
--Installed Microsoft Search Server 2010 Express. Standalone install. Went through initial configuration wizard
--Installed Veeam Backup Search

--Server 2008 R2 running with a sample file on it, VMWare Tools installed, set to Eastern Timezone
--Created a file in C:\data called testing221pm.txt (which was created at 2:21pm)
--Created new backup job, reversed incremental, used VSS and file system indexing
--Started job manually

--Launch Veeam Enterprise Manager. Under Configuration, Servers, clicked on Veeam server and Start Collecting.
--Watch under Sessions for Catalog indexing job to run.
--Search for testing221pm.txt.

Resulting search says date last modified 6:21:15pm.

I updated the file at 3:15pm, and ran a second backup. Ran a catalog index for Veeam Enterprise Manager. Searched for the file. Data last modified: Still 6:21:15pm.
lmbutault
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Louis-Marie BUTAULT

Post by lmbutault »

hello,

I have exactly the same issue, did you have an answer from the VEEAM support team?

regards,
Louis-Marie
mr.bigbear
Novice
Liked: never

Post by mr.bigbear »

Some news about this issue????
Hotfix, workaround or something else?

Thx for answers...

Robert
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Robert, I cannot think of any workaround off the top of my head, maybe our support team can suggest something...