Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gsink
Novice
Liked: 2 times

NFS Share Backup Failure

Post by gsink »

Trying to get backups to complete successfully on an NFS share on a Synology appliance. I'm actively using this with another solution (Unitrends).

Folders and files are created on the share but the backup never actually starts data transfer and I get this error message.

Code: Select all

3/3/2020 1:35:39 PM :: Processing HOST-A Error: Permission denied
Failed to open storage for read/write access. Storage: [10.X.X.X:/volume1/BACKUPS/TEST/TEST - DAILY INCREMENTALD2020-03-02T220027_5C89.vbk].
Failed to backup text locally. Backup: [VBK: 'veeamfs:0:bfacfe11-52b4-43cb-a8a3-6e7b6850ab40 (c31002b6-14ba-4a26-9544-37065259123a)\summary.xml@nfs3://10.X.X.X:/volume1/BACKUPS/TEST/TEST - DAILY INCREMENTALD2020-03-02T220027_5C89.vbk'].
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.BackupText
On the NFS share I have the entire subnet that both the vcenter host and VM's are on, set to read/write.

I do have a ticket in but it was archived/not addressed: Case # 04041247
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: NFS Share Bacup Failure

Post by wishr »

Hi Gsink,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

As you can see from the log snippet, most likely it is related to permissions on the HOST-A.

Thanks
gsink
Novice

Post by gsink »

The account being used is a domain administrator, tested with admin shares, and also added as local admin on the server just because. Same account currently being used for my other backup solution.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Are you able to access the [10.X.X.X:/volume1/BACKUPS/TEST/] folder from file backup proxy server via NFS and create/modify/read files there using the same account?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

gsink,

Can you please clarify what was selected as a source for nas job? Specifically the .vbk file or the folder that contains the vbk file? Any chance you have other Veeam jobs running that may lock the vbk file? Thank you!
gsink
Novice

Post by gsink »

wishr wrote: Mar 12, 2020 4:33 pm Are you able to access the [10.X.X.X:/volume1/BACKUPS/TEST/] folder from file backup proxy server via NFS and create/modify/read files there using the same account?
I just logged into the windows VM that B&R is installed on as the backup service account and used the Windows NFS client to mount to the NFS share, and successfully created then deleted a folder.
gsink
Novice

Post by gsink »

Dima P. wrote: Mar 12, 2020 6:09 pm gsink,

Can you please clarify what was selected as a source for nas job? Specifically the .vbk file or the folder that contains the vbk file? Any chance you have other Veeam jobs running that may lock the vbk file? Thank you!
I've got a handful (4) of HyperV VM's that I'm backing up and only have this single backup job and this is my only instance of Veeam. Also, nothing else is backing up these VM's either.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: NFS Share Backup Failure

Post by foggy »

Looks like a permission issue to me. Were you able to finally resolve it?
gsink
Novice

Post by gsink » 2 people like this post

Feeling a little dumb right now :lol: :shock:

Even though I read the documentation on the fact earlier, I still had it in my head to treat it like my existing backup solution where backups are sent to NFS storage from the VM network address.

My HyperV host IP is on a separate management network and I did not have that specified in NFS security on the Synology, only the default network that the VM's utilize.

Added the management network and it's running right now.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Great, thanks for the follow up!