Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
VeeBR
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup copies for GFS from Replicas or Backups?

Post by VeeBR »

We are running backups of 30 VM servers into a Veeam B&R VM also in the same VMware ESXi cluster.
The nightly incremental backups run on weekdays and we keep 7 restore points. We create weekly synthetic full backups on Sundays.

We have setup another ESXi server to house the replicas and plan to use it as DR site in case the primary ESXi cluster is compromised.

I am planning to do the following:

1. Once Backup jobs are complete run Replication jobs and send replicas into the DR ESXi.
2. The Replication jobs get seed from the backup repository instead from the live VM servers.
3. Create and configure a VM in this DR ESXi and install as a secondary repository (for GFS).
4. Configure GFS Backup Copy for longer term weekly and monthly in the DR VM repository.

In order to create this GFS backup copy, should I simply install B&R to the DR VM and configure to take the replicas in the DR ESXi or send directly from the primary ESXi cluster?
I am planning to keep the weekly backups for a month, monthly backups for a year and yearly backups for 5 years.

Would you have any improvements or recommendations on my plan above?

I appreciate your input in advance.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup copies for GFS from Replicas or Backups?

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
You don't need 2nd backup server to orchestrate the jobs.
I would recommend to leverage Replica from Backup technology.
Could you clarify, you want to have GFS backups only on the DR site?
VeeBR
Influencer

Post by VeeBR »

Hi Shestakov,

Thank you for your reply.

I have setup Replication jobs to be created from backups on the primary server. Once the backups complete on the primary site, the replicas get generated from these backups. These replicas are configured to be sent to the DR ESXi at the secondary site.

Since I already have 7 restore points on the primary site (I am planning to increase it to 14 days), I thought it would be good idea to configure the GFS into the secondary repository. Do you recommend having GFS on both sites instead?

My main concern is creating these GFS from the replicas that were created from the backups at the primary site. If I should be worried about any data integrity issues in the future.

Thank you again.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
Do you recommend having GFS on both sites instead?
That makes sense if you want to completely mirror backup logic on both sites.
Keep in mind, though, as mentioned in this post, CBT is not applied when backing up replicas. So, it can impact job processing time.
Another way around would be to copy backups to DR site and then use these backup copies locally as a source for replica creation.
Overall, if you have Enterprise or Enterprise Plus Edition, I'd also advise to use Wan Acceleration either with Replication or Backup Copy Job when moving data between sites.

Best regards,
Oleg
VeeBR
Influencer

Post by VeeBR »

Many thanks to Oleg and Shestakov for your advise on my post.