Backup the replicated VMs

VMware specific discussions

Re: Backup the replicated VMs

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:29 pm

That would be more convenient except I am not provided room for down time as these are highly utilized production machines and there's about 7TB to deal with.

In either case there will be a downtime involved. Two-steps replication process, plus, time it takes to finally failover VMs.

I understand that I can backup already replicated VMs, but can I replicate a replicated VM?

Yes, you can. Though, you'd better make sure replication activities do not overlap, meaning do not replicate VMs to second host before you've replicated all of them to the first one. Otherwise, you may encounter several issues.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby forumit » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:19 am

Similar situation here - we did a replica Failover of a VM to our DR site however it's been running in a 'failover' state for more than one week. Unfortunately we are unable to do a 'failback to production' as it's a critical VM.. etc.

Can we take backups of this failover replica on our DR site or it will cause corruption? This is major concern as currently there is no backups.

I think the options are:

1. Permanent failover to DR site and create a backup job. Create a new replica job to migrate back to 'production site'. Reverse process.
2. Failback to production and schedule downtime (at least 20 min).
3. ?
forumit
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: forumit

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:11 am 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Yes, you can take a backup of the replica. Both approaches should work, however with the second approach it's hard to provide any estimates on the downtime.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 273 times

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere