Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tpjctrl
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup / restore operation breaks MAC license binding on 3rd party product

Post by tpjctrl »

I realise it's probably not something people see very often, but perhaps someone has a suggestion.

I've got a Windows Server 2016 running as a VM on a bare metal ESXi 6.7, there's a 3rd party application running on the OS which is licensed via a software license that binds to the MAC address of the "machine" (VM in this case). I've recently done a backup of this VM and then restored it to test the whole process and after restoring realised that the binding to the MAC address is broken due to the MAC address being now different. Does anyone know if there's a way to somehow retain the MAC address on a backup / restore? I kind of assumed this would happen, but apparently it changes (or something else changes in the process).

Also, when a backup / restore is done using Veeam B&R ver 10, are VM snapshots used anywhere in the process? I'm asking as this 3rd party app manual says that restoring to snapshots definitely breaks the license binding, so I'm trying to understand whether Veeam makes use of snapshots when doing backups / restores.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Tom
Link State
Veeam Legend
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Link State

Re: Backup / restore operation breaks MAC license binding on 3rd party product

Post by Link State »

Hi
You need to set static mac address to your VM

vmware-vsphere-f24/vm-restore-generates ... 45649.html
Veeam: Veeam Legends 2021&2022 | VMCE 2020 | VMCA 2022 | VMXP - Microsoft: MCITP | MCP| MCSA | 2008 R2 | 2012R2 | 2016 | MCSE Infrastructure | MCSE Cloud Platform - Azure: AZ900 | AZ104 - Cisco: CCNA-
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Our Backup and restore process and VMware ist just following the settings that you have set within the VMware configuration.
By default a "dynamic MAC" address is set and we just restore the VM with that setting. If you do an inplace restore of the VM, you will get same MAC address. If you restore to a new place, then you will get a new MAC address.

By changing the VM configuration to a static MAC address we will restore the VM always with this MAC address without VMware changing the MAC afterwards.
Important point is that you can only change to a static MAC by shutting down the VM. And you will get a new MAC address with the change. So you need to update your software that uses the MAC address.
tpjctrl
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by tpjctrl »

Thanks for the replies! I'll give static / manual MAC a go.

Cheers,
Tom