Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
hubert.mroz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hubert Mroz

Backup to NAS with existing HV Replica

Post by hubert.mroz »

Hello,

Sorry if this question have been asked before, please forward me to correlated topic if one exists. Thank you.
Some brief view:
2 Hyper-V Hosts 2019 Std working in Hyper-V Replica ( not the veeam one ), each holding 50% of production VM's and directly connected over dedicated 10gbps to QNAP NAS for on-site backup.
1 VBR Server 2012R2 as VM, in domain, separate HV host. SQL DB residing on prod SQL on those HV 2019 hosts.
Backups where done to two ISCSI LUN's, per HV host.

Everything seems great, till I've revised myself about how exactly stupid I am to forgot about 2 BIG issues and 1 smaller:
1. cryptolocker attack
2. compromised domain
3. locking myself out of veeam sql, when failovering

I will be moving VBR to separate VM not in domain - this KB seems ok: https://www.veeam.com/kb1889
and also will be changing ISCSI to SMB share, with local credentials for connection.

Here is one thing I can not figure out and so the question:

Is it possible to specify more than 1 gateway server for backup repository to SMB share?
I created DNS entry in hosts file with IP pointing to NAS directly connected to HV server, rather than pointing it to IP accessible in LAN.
Doing so I created 2 separate SMB Shares, each pointing it to same SMB Share, which resulted in duplicated backups visible in home>disk(imported).
I know there is not a feature yet to address my problem based on this post veeam-backup-replication-f2/feature-req ... 38831.html
, but I wonder if I can overcome this issue somehow?

Regards,
Hubert
---
Regards,
Hubert Mroz
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup to NAS with existing HV Replica

Post by PetrM »

Hi Hubert,

The selection of multiple gateway servers is not available yet but your request is noted.

Why are you worrying about these "duplicated" backups?
And I assume that it's not 100 % "duplicated" backup: look at Repository column on Backup - Disk (Imported) view.
The repository should be different for both backups as long as there are 2 different SMB shares from Veeam perspective, then these backups are just 2 different entities.

Thanks!
hubert.mroz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hubert Mroz

Post by hubert.mroz »

Hi Petr,

My idea is to use gateway server ( in this situation hyper-v host ) on which VM is currently running. If I want to failover machine to second Hyper-V I want to make use of second gateway ( which used to hold VM replica ).

Yes, you are not correct. Backups are not duplicated, just visible in config AS IF duplicated, due to same path specified in SMB repositories.
This was due to my approach to create same SMB share, with 2 gateway servers, each per HV host conencted directly to nas.

I think I'm making my setup way too complicated, but my approach was to have 1 share for both HV servers, rather than splitting it into 2 share.

Regards,
Hubert
---
Regards,
Hubert Mroz
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Hubert,

Thanks for description of your use case!

But I'm not sure I understand what's going on with "duplicated" backups: are these backups linked to different "logical" repositories? Do you see different repositories in UI?

I understand that both backups are on the same physical location and I wouldn't worry if these backups were linked to different logical repositories, on the other hand if both of them
were 100 % identical including repository, I would recommend to open a support case.

Thanks!