Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vherdt
Novice
Liked: never

Replication only works over network instead of san

Post by vherdt »

Hello,

I would like to configure our replication jobs over SAN. I created four vmfs volumes replica01-replica04 in the vSphere Farm where the replica vms should be placed. The veeam server sees also the four vmfs volumes like the other vmfs volumes where our vms are located.
If I configure a replication job and choose "SAN with failover" the replication process goes over network. Is my design incorrect?

We use ESXi 4.1, 433742 Hosts.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication only works over network instead of san

Post by foggy »

Please make sure you have correctly configured your Veeam Backup server to use direct SAN access mode (see this topic for details). Also, note that direct SAN access only refers to source data retrieval and replicated data are always transferred over the regular network. Thanks.
vherdt
Novice

Post by vherdt »

I configured the veeam server for SAN. The backup jobs works over SAN. So it means that a replication job always goes over network? Beacause I have only 2 MB/s at the first replication of a vm.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

In both cases of backup and replication, the data should be retrieved directly from SAN and then transferred to the target storage over the network.
vherdt
Novice

Post by vherdt »

I started a replication job hours ago and all the time I have only 6 MB/s. Is this normal?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Processing rates depend on the job settings and your link/environment. If you don't see that the job is failing over to network mode in the session statistics, then review this thread for possible reasons of performance bottlenecks.
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

We read data over the SAN but will not write the data over the SAN which is why you are seeing network traffic. The job processing modes are for read only, not write. Currently, it will write over the network.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.