Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
basictheprogram
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bob Tanner

Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk

Post by basictheprogram »

Upgraded from Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows v3 to Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows v4.0.0.1811 and now the agent is throwing and error:

Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Tried chkdsk multiple times. Every run shows no problems with the disk.
Tried backups for each volume and see which fails.

WinRE_DRV backup as a success
EFI System Partition backup as a success
Windows (C:) FAILED! (error above)

Windows 10 Professional version 1903

Same problem was documented back in 2015?
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/backup-to-u ... 27576.html

Any help?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bob,

Can you please raise a support case and share the case ID as we need the debug logs to investigate this issue. Thank you!
Stellarspace
Novice
Liked: never

[MEGRED] #04116293 - Error: The device is not ready.

Post by Stellarspace »

I scanned every drive for bad blocks and none are reported. Veeam Agent only backs up successfully when I don't select the C drive. I reinstalled Windows too and it did nothing.
Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [0]. Failed to download disk.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Re: Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stellarspace,

Please keep working with our support team and let us know how the investigation goes. Cheers!
d.thompson
Novice
Liked: 4 times

Post by d.thompson »

I'm experiencing the same issue. Open ticket Case # 04123082 with no resolution yet. CHKDSK runs clean.

Suggestion to change/add HKLM: Software > Veeam > Veeam Endpoint Backup > "EnableParallelDiskProcessing" (DWORD) to "0" did not work.
Dark
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by Dark »

Also running into this issue on one machine with 4.0.0.1811, other machines are fine

Support ticket 04114988
Jogile
Lurker

Post by Jogile » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I had the same problem on my PC, since 1 month. After some days of searching, I found, that is not a problem of the agent version v4.0.0.1811. The problem comes with one of the Microsoft updates between February and March 2020. The next step is to find out, which one. I also send my log files to veeam, but without any response.

Maybe, there is a solution for this problem right now. Please give me a hint, if that is the case.
d.thompson
Novice

Post by d.thompson » 2 people like this post

By running mountvol, I saw that one of the volumes was "NOT MOUNTABLE UNTIL A VOLUME MOUNT POINT IS CREATED". This volume was the Recovery Partition and was formatted RAW.

I had a workaround that was working but Veeam supplied me with the steps below which also work.

On the agent machines, add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\ManagedExcludeVolumes (REG_MULTI_SZ) and add the volume as the value. e.g. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\ManagedExcludeVolumes=\\?\Volume{b80b6e86-a7aa-4e89-8fb6-789e24055c1d}\. Restart the Veeam agent.
Dark
Novice

Post by Dark » 1 person likes this post

d.thompson wrote: May 08, 2020 7:03 pm By running mountvol, I saw that one of the volumes was "NOT MOUNTABLE UNTIL A VOLUME MOUNT POINT IS CREATED". This volume was the Recovery Partition and was formatted RAW.

I had a workaround that was working but Veeam supplied me with the steps below which also work.

On the agent machines, add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\ManagedExcludeVolumes (REG_MULTI_SZ) and add the volume as the value. e.g. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\ManagedExcludeVolumes=\\?\Volume{b80b6e86-a7aa-4e89-8fb6-789e24055c1d}\. Restart the Veeam agent.
Thank you for this workaround, can confirm it works and I've just successfully backed up with Veeam for the first time in 2 months!

Is there any chance this produces a backup that is missing something when it comes to being restored in full? (i.e. is this recovery partition essential / can it be re-created?)
d.thompson
Novice

Post by d.thompson » 2 people like this post

I believe this would still be considered a complete backup. The recovery partition is not essential to system functionality as it is used only to restore the system to factory settings in the event of system issues. Testing recovery is always a good thing to do though.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello folks,

Thanks for updating the thread and sorry for keeping silence. I'll take this issue from here and will discuss it with RnD folks to make sure that this issue is addressed in upcoming versions.
Is there any chance this produces a backup that is missing something when it comes to being restored in full? (i.e. is this recovery partition essential / can it be re-created?)
Looks like the recovery partition causes the problem, so you don't loose any data by excluding such partition.

Cheers!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I had the same error on two computers.
The solution was similar on both machines:
1. disable other Software/Backup Agents which are using VSS Integration.

Had to disable Windows Shadow Copys on my Files and on an other conputer, there was s backup agent installed and running every night from another Company.

After disabling both, backup of the disks are successful everytime.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Dark
Novice

Post by Dark »

I had the same error on two computers.
The solution was similar on both machines:
1. disable other Software/Backup Agents which are using VSS Integration.

Had to disable Windows Shadow Copys on my Files and on an other conputer, there was s backup agent installed and running every night from another Company.

After disabling both, backup of the disks are successful everytime.
I think there may be multiple causes, verified with ShadowCopyView that the only shadow copy at time of failure (before fix above) was Veeam
Stellarspace
Novice

Post by Stellarspace »

To solve this problem, I did a clean install of Windows and installed Veeam Agent.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Dark wrote: May 22, 2020 2:41 pm I think there may be multiple causes, verified with ShadowCopyView that the only shadow copy at time of failure (before fix above) was Veeam
Ok :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
str
Lurker

Post by str » 1 person likes this post

d.thompson wrote: May 08, 2020 7:03 pm By running mountvol, I saw that one of the volumes was "NOT MOUNTABLE UNTIL A VOLUME MOUNT POINT IS CREATED". This volume was the Recovery Partition and was formatted RAW.

With mountvol in PowerShell I had 3 volumes that showed comments like

Code: Select all

*** NOT MOUNTABLE UNTIL A VOLUME MOUNT POINT IS CREATED ***
        *** NO MOUNT POINTS ***
They were some hidden recovery partitions of the main physical drive where Windows 10 was. Not Mountable were RAW partitions whereas No Mount Points was a FAT32 100 MB partition.

I received the error after a Windows Update.
glx
Lurker

Post by glx »

My solution was to "Edit Backup Job", in "Volumes" activate "Show system and hidden volumes", disable "Operating system" so only the volumes with names like "C:" are selected. Now start the backup job - it should work, since no "\\?\Volume{*} are being selected anymore (Recovery or System-reserved partitions).
After that re-select "Operating systems" and re-running the backup job should work again :D
cxwsrei
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by cxwsrei »

@glx : I experience the same problem (on a server 2016) . It´s veeam win agent 4.0.0.1811.
The workaround you mentioned works - but will not be useful for a full recovery in case of a hardware failure for exmaple I think !?
Anyway: how many time has you executed the backup since June 8 (date of your last post) ?
No more problems since that time ? Did you execute it all the time including the OS/recovery partitions since June 8 ?
glx
Lurker

Post by glx »

Hi cxwsrei,
I also use Win Agent 4.0.0.1811. However I created a new full backup after the fix and 12 incrementals have been completed successfully since then.
There was no necessity to do a recovery so far, but since no problems came up I guess the backup should work.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

If you still see this issue on your agent installations please raise a support ticket. I was under impression that this problem was related to the periodically recreated recovery partition caused by MS update (and we've fixed it in the latest v4 by automatically adding it to the backup), so need more debug information to get the clear understanding what went wrong. Once you have the case ID please post it to this thread. Thank you!
MartinO
Service Provider
Full Name: Martin Old

Post by MartinO »

I'm seeing the same error appearing on one of our agents, tried the reg fix above but no joy.
Support ID: 04405305
dpolivy
Novice

Post by dpolivy »

Since upgrading to v4, I'm seeing the same issue on one of my machines. Currently running v4.0.1.2169.
Support ID is 04420969, although it was just closed because I don't have an active support contract :/

Any chance of getting further assistance with this? @Dima P?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I've asked support to review both cases and pass a word to QA folks. Cheers!
JonSD
Novice
Full Name: Jon Bucud

Post by JonSD »

My experience mirrors those of MartinO and dpolivy, logged a case. Of the 3 OS partitions on the "C:\"; OS, EFI, Recovery, I can backup the machine if I exclude "Recovery", but the second I include "Recovery" it fails with the message above.

SR 04439903
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the case Jon. We are investigating this issue with the Recovery partition.
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Post by kubimike »

Having the same issue Case #04483712 — Job Failing Failed to upload disk.
Ive been trying to get my machine backed up for a few months now. I know support is trying to help but Im not getting anywhere fast.

Error: The system cannot find the file specified.
Asynchronous read operation failed
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello MikeO,

Can you please confirm that you are running the latest Veeam Agent for Windows v4.0.1? Thanks!
qurvax
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by qurvax » 1 person likes this post

I ran into this error too. Somehow recovery vol had it's mount point removed. Not sure why. The solution was just to mount it somewhere (mountvol c:\mount "\\?\Volume{GUID}\"), and then dismount with mountvol /D. After this volume no longer shows as having RAW FS, and Veeam Agent is able to take backups again.
AlexComputerGuy
Lurker
Full Name: AlexComputerGuy

Post by AlexComputerGuy »

Has per Dima P. request : Case #04555471

Same bug.
I have tryed the mountvol and mountvol /d command, and will update this if it is working.
P0ll@rd
Novice
Full Name: Benjamin POLLET-VILLARD

Post by P0ll@rd »

Hi,
I had the same issue and asked to Veeam support. They said to exclude the recovery partition or recreate it. It was a fresh Windows Server 2016 install so the 2 solutions were not acceptable for me...
I tried the mount and dismount solution and it worked for me ! Thanks guys !