Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

The search filter is invalid error when restoring AD users

Post by pshute »

I needed to restore a lot of Active Directory users who had had some properties changed accidentally. I used Veeam's Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory to restore large groups of them.

Worked ok, but in one OU I kept getting an error - "The search filter is invalid". I ended up having to write LDAP queries to narrow it down to just the users starting with A, and then down to one single user that couldn't be restored. The rest were fine.

1. Can anyone explain what the error means?
2. I would like to suggest a more informative error. If it said which object it was having trouble with, I could have completed the job much faster.
3. How would one write an LDAP query to find objects with brackets in the name? The problem object had some, and I'm wondering if that's what caused the problem.
4. I would like to suggest some guidance be included in the GUI for LDAP queries. I've never used them before, and it was very stressful working out how to do it.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: The search filter is invalid error when restoring AD users

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
can you please post the case number? That would answer 1.

2-4 depends on what support says.

Without case number the thread will be removed.

Best regards,
Hannes
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

Case number is #04170463.
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

pshute wrote: May 12, 2020 6:07 am 3. How would one write an LDAP query to find objects with brackets in the name? The problem object had some, and I'm wondering if that's what caused the problem.
I've now at least worked out that part. This LDAP query works in Veeam's Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory to find names containing an opening bracket:

Code: Select all

(&(objectclass=user)(objectcategory=person)(name=*\28*))
I only found one other, and it was restorable, so that's not the problem. My next theory is that it's too long (58 chars).