Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
NTmatter
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Thomas Johnson

Seeding SOBR to Snowball via MinIO?

Post by NTmatter »

I'm looking in to moving a large amount of data from local backup repositories into S3. I know that I can do this by adding a capacity extent to my scale-out backup repository, setting a retention policy, and waiting for the tiering job to complete. Given the volume of data involved, this will take a rather long while.

I'm interested in using an Amazon Snowball to migrate the data to S3, however the forum thread [1] explicitly states that Snowballs are unsupported due to quirks of their S3 implementation. Looking through the MinIO documentation [2], it appears that MinIO can function as an S3 gateway...

Given that MinIO is on the Veeam HCL [3], is there any chance that using MinIO as a wrapper around a Snowball (or Snowball cluster) would work for the initial offload?

Links:
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Seeding SOBR to Snowball via MinIO?

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

No, Snowball Edge is supported. The regular Snowball appliances have their own S3 interface, and issues with large amounts of objects. Snowball Edge handles it much better. I will create documentation around this when ready.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Seeding SOBR to Snowball via MinIO?

Post by Gostev »

By the way, this is mentioned in the sticky compatibility topic on this forum.