Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KOPFteam
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Florian Pürner

Restore problem with German umlauts in filenames

Post by KOPFteam »

I tried a test restore from a backup today. Unfortunatelly exactly this volume I wanted to restore happened to be a Windows 2008 dynamic volume, so I can't use "File Level Restore - Microsoft Windows", I needed to use "File Level Restore - Other OS".

This works, but I can see that all files and folders with German umlauts (äöüß) in their names are displayed with some weired characters in the file browser. When doing the actual restore ("Copy to...") Veeam displays an error dialog for each of those files. After confirming that dialog the restore continues, but skips that file.

:?: Any ideas?

Florian Pürner
KOPFteam GmbH
Loving (and fighting with) Veeam for over a decade!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Restore problem with German umlauts in filenames

Post by Gostev »

Hi Florian, this issue is documented in the Release Notes document included with your download. Thanks.
KOPFteam
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Florian Pürner

Post by KOPFteam »

Hi Gostev,
I can only find this paragraph in the release notes:
Non-latin characters are not supported in the product’s installation path; in the backup target path; in the Veeam Backup and FastSCP service account name; in the source or destination path of SSH-enabled file copy operations; in virtual machine properties; in VM file and folder names for multi-OS file level restore wizard.
I understand that "VM file and folder names" means the VM files themselfs and not the user files insider the VMs. Is that correct? Because this would mean that Veeam Multi-OS FLR is unusable in no english countries.
How can I access my backup now? Windows-FLR is unusable because of the dynamic volume and Multi-OS FLR is unusable because of umlauts.

Thanks,
Florian
Loving (and fighting with) Veeam for over a decade!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

KOPFteam wrote:How can I access my backup now? Windows-FLR is unusable because of the dynamic volume and Multi-OS FLR is unusable because of umlauts.
In cases when you cannot use either FLR wizard, you may leverage the universal FLR method via Instant VM Recovery (explained in the sticky FAQ topic). Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

KOPFteam wrote:How can I access my backup now? Windows-FLR is unusable because of the dynamic volume and Multi-OS FLR is unusable because of umlauts.
You might try the advanced FTP option of the Multi-OS FLR. This will allow you to access the files via FTP which shouldn't have an issue with the umlauts. Just use any decent FTP client to pull the files to a Windows box. Filezilla works great.