Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Beheer
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Beheer at Albron

Replace proxy with repository attached

Post by Beheer »

Hi,

We use Veeam B&R 9.5.4.2866.
I want to replace a Veeam proxy VM. This VM has storage attached with one repository.
This repository is used by this one backup job and to store all our Backup copies (proxy and repository are in a remote location).

I removed the storage disk from the old VM (a datastore on an attached easyRAID).
There is one job that directly writes to this repository, changed that job (proxy and Guest interaction) so that I was able to remove the old proxy.
The new VM was added as proxy, got Transport installed.
I added the vmdk to the new VM, the disk was added, all data (the repository) was present in Windows explorer.

Now I came to the point where I noticed that under Backup infrastructure, Backup repositories, the repository was listed with the old proxy as host.
So far I have not been able to find a matching procedure to migrate a proxy with repository attached, so therefor I tried to do this job with my common Veeam knowledge and some thinging.

But I got stucked on letting Veeam work with the existing repository via a new proxy.
In the repository properties the Server cannot be changed and I think Mount server is something different.

I would like to know how to use the existing repository with a new proxy.

Thanks and regards,
Han
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replace proxy with repository attached

Post by foggy »

Hi Beheer, you need to create a new repository since the path to the backups has changed (unless the new VM preserved the name and absolute paths). The procedure for migrating the repository and re-pointing the job to the new one is described in this KB article. This thread might also be helpful. Thanks!
Beheer
Influencer

Post by Beheer »

OK, thanks.
Sad that Veeam cannot be configured to change a repository path, where the repository name is used in the jobs and the path is configured in the repository settings.
Anyway, I will create a new repository, move the data into it and change al the jobs.
Regards,
Han
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You do not need to actually move data though, just create another repository that points to the same location, just mounted to another VM.
Beheer
Influencer

Post by Beheer »

Today I started a new attempt to migrate the Veeam proxy and repository and was successful, ending up with a new repository name pointing to the existing repository data.
When I look for issues that I have I usually find topics with one particular step briefly addressed but without enough explanation to get the whole picture, so, in case anyone else likes to see the steps taken, here they are.

Situation:
A Veeam VM in a remote location acting as proxy with a repository attached needed to be replaced (from Windows Server 2012R2 to Server 2016). This repository keeps all our Backup copy data in a remote location, and one backup of a VM running in that remote location.

- Disable all the (copy) jobs that might start writing to the repository.
- If needed, check and note settings of the old repository connected to the old proxy, for that cannot be done after the storage has been moved (like you might want to know how many concurrent tasks were allowed to run on this repository).
- Power off the old Veeam proxy VM.
- Delete the extra disk from the old VM, without checking "Delete files from datastore".
- Add the disk (with the repository data) to the new VM by selecting Existing harddisk and point to the .vmdk file.
- In the new VM, set the disk online and change the drive letter if needed.
- Add the new VM as a Proxy.
- Create the new repository: Use a new name. Use the new proxy as server and mount server, as repository select the directory on the added storage that came from the old proxy. In the Review step I did not select "Import existing backups". These would appear as Imported and I didn't want that.
- After the new proxy and repository are set up, the jobs that write to the repository need to be changed.
Backup jobs: change the Backup proxy if it is set explicitly, change the backup repository to the new repository, change the Guest interaction proxy in case it was set to the old proxy.
Backup copy jobs: Only the repository needs to be set to the new repository. After clicking Next a short popup "Checking backup files" appears, this should normally be successful, no manual Mapping needed.
- Start testing by enabling a Backup copy job, if all goes right and the job has something new to copy, it will start doing that and the new repository is working.
- Delete the old Proxy.
- Delete the old repository. It is just a name, Veeam cannot reach it anymore.
If this step fails, the response will show what job still uses the old proxy. In my case I forgot about a Veeam Agent.
- Delete the old Managed server (the old proxy). This can only be done when the old repository is removed. If the old proxy VM is still powered off, the job will end with warnings because the Veeam components could not be uninstalled, but the server will be gone.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for sharing your steps with the community, much appreciated. Keep in mind though that storing backups on VMFS is not considered as best practice.