Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

How to perform a manual merge? Or remove recovery points?

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

on a 7 day retention JOB, I performed an infinite incremental backup several times.

It generated a new manual incremental several times for the same day.

I believe that he should replace the same diary keeping only one of the day, but he generated several for the same day at different times.

If I had selected instead of 7 days, 7 recovery point I understand that for each backup performed it would have to make a new one regardless of the day and perform the merge when reaching the 7 recovery point.

Now I have several recovery points from the same day and I need to perform the removal to free up space.

What should I do?

Thank you.

Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2273 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How to perform a manual merge? Or remove recovery points?

Post by Mildur »

You can‘t merge multiple vib from a single day into one vib for that day.
You can create a new vbk out of a vbk+vib Chain for a specific day, but merging is not possible.

You will have to start a new backup chain and remove the old backup data after that.

Or wait until 21st-22nd of June, after that, your restore points from 14st of june will be removed automatically.

My recommendation for backup storage calculation is, always add additional space for 1-2x fullbackup sizes.
You will need that space, if you have problems with backupchain and need todo an active Full. Or todo some maintenance features from veeam (Work Space).
If you calculate your storage to store only 1x vbk and some vib Files, you will end to have problems with free space someday.

You can use the restore point calculator. It will tell you how much Space do you need.

https://rps.dewin.me/
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How to perform a manual merge? Or remove recovery points?

Post by foggy »

Hi Sandro, I believe you can switch from days to restore points in retention settings and after the next job run you will end up with just 7 latest restore points.
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

Re: Como realizar uma mesclagem manual? Ou remover pontos de recuperação?

Post by sandroalves »

I thought about that option too.