Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mcerci
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: muammer

Increase default timeout value (30 minutes) for the backup job's finalizing phase ?

Post by mcerci »

Hi,

Using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5.4.2866.

Sometimes some of our jobs (Vmware virtual machine backups) fail after elapsing 30 minutes in the job' s finalizing phase (Especially for the VMS those have so much changed data after the last successful backup).

Is there any option (in the veeam' s registry entries, ini files etc.) to increase that default timeout value for the finalizing phase?

Thx.

(We don' t have support contract, Yes i am posting a technical issue as you mentioned in the red above. But many of your customers may be suffering from this issue. So please don' t remove this post)
Maxim Karganov
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Re: Increase default timeout value (30 minutes) for the backup job's finalizing phase ?

Post by Maxim Karganov » 3 people like this post

Hi Muammer,

There is no option to increase this timeout as it is an internal operation. In your situation you should determine the root cause of the failure and eliminate it instead of looking for a workaround.

Since we do offer best effort technical support for customers running free Veeam products, we still recommend raising a support case. Thanks.
mcerci
Influencer

Re: Increase default timeout value (30 minutes) for the backup job's finalizing phase ?

Post by mcerci »

Hi,

I supposed there is an option like there in these posts:

CommandTimeout option in config.xml : (veeam-backup-replication-f2/sql-databas ... 28489.html) (SQL Database restore failed with Veeam Explorer)
RequestTimeout option in config.xml : (veeam-backup-replication-f2/veeam-explo ... 46051.html) (Veeam Explorer for Sharepoint Time Out)

Thx.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Muammer,

I fully agree with Maxim, I would not recommend to apply some registry options without clear understanding of the root cause otherwise you risk to overlook a serious problem.

For example, the finalizing phase includes automatic stop of Data Movers running on proxy and repository, you may check these components.
Anyway, the troubleshooting must be performed by our support, please don't forget to paste case id over here.

Thanks!
mcerci
Influencer

Post by mcerci »

Hi again,

If there is an option to increase the timeout please write there. Despite All risks i want to apply that.

Thx.
Maxim Karganov
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Post by Maxim Karganov »

Hi,

There is no universal timeout to change. Instead, we recommend raising a support case to make sure a proper solution is applied that will not cause any side issues. Please, let us know your case ID once you have it.

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

It's worth trying to upgrade Veeam B&R to the version 10 as well.

Thanks!
ScottGao
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by ScottGao »

Hello, I want to say some differences.
There are some ways to change time out. I did it and it works for Wan problem.

Increase this value using the registry value BackupSyncMaxRetriesPerOib on the backup server in the following path - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication:
Type: REG_DWORD
Default value: 5
Maximum retries when network connection breaks between the agents (e.g. due to unreliable WAN)

or

NetUseShareAccess
For Veeam B&R 8.0.0.917 or later, the following registry value allows Data Movers to open backup files by a resilient method similar to the Windows net use command.

Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\
DWORD: NetUseShareAccess
Value: 1

Note: If credentials are required, specify Domain\User or Host\User in the repository settings. .\User credentials are not supported with NetUseShareAccess. For example, specify “NAS-01\Admin” instead of “.\Admin”.

SessTimeout
This increases the amount of time the Windows SMB client will wait for a response from an SMB server before it aborts the connection. The default timeout is one minute.
Note: Reboot Required

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\
DWORD: SessTimeout
Value: 600

Note: This is a value in seconds. Try a value of 600 decimal (10 minutes).

TcpMaxDataRetransmissions
This increases the number of times the Windows TCP implementation will retransmit a data segment before it aborts the connection.
Note: Reboot Required

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
DWORD: TcpMaxDataRetransmissions
Value: 10 (Default: 5)

But above registry values must be created on the the SMB gateway, which is specified in the repository settings as “Gateway server”. If the gateway is set to “automatic”, add these registry values to all Windows servers managed by Veeam Backup & Replication.

Keys are from https://www.veeam.com/kb1735
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I don't recommend to apply "random" registry values without knowledge of the source of the problem, the best way is to let our support team to determine the root cause based on logs analysis.

Thanks!
mcerci
Influencer

Post by mcerci »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your interest. I read your post from beginning to end. As I understand those timeouts are all about network issues. In our problem timeout occurs after all network related stuff ends.

Giving some detail finalizing phase starts, sql server process (db engine for veeam configuration database) begins to utilize nearly %100 of all of or some of first 4 cpus (i really wonder why a product like veeam uses sql server express edition which allows only 4 cpu utilize), disk read rate for drive C (the drive where sql server files reside) reaches above 10000 iops read (sometimes i see 30000 iops read. Yes exactly 30000 iops. After these issues started, i moved veeam' s drive C to SSD datastore. Thx to virtualization), above 1 GBPS read. These situations continue until 30 minutes, then timeout occurs.
mcerci
Influencer

Post by mcerci »

Some shots from cacti

https://ibb.co/g3Fb8TH

https://ibb.co/DYg8HzK

https://ibb.co/DK54qXv

NOTE: Around Mon 12:00 i had made a full index rebuild for all indexes on sql server ( https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/ ... databases/ )