Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
WIFI
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lukas Bruckmueller

Feature request - email sender address

Post by WIFI »

Hello,

I'm using Veeam Endpoint Protection Version 1.5.0.306.
I configured the email notification but I didn't find a way to define the sender address - only the recipient address.

Is there a reason why there is no form for the sender address?

Thanks
Lukas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request - email sender address

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Lukas,

Email notification was designed for an end user on a first place, with a thought that end-user has only one email address that’s going to be used both for sending and receiving email. Can you please describe why you want to use separate email addresses? Thank you.
ortoscale
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matjaž Antloga

Post by ortoscale »

I'm having same feature request, using VEB at client that also got Veeam B&R. We need to send reports from VEB to multiple addresses, so we entered distribution list as recipient. Sender needs to be different. br, Matjaž
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Lukas

Post by lxk3il »

bc2011 wrote:I'm having same feature request, using VEB at client that also got Veeam B&R. We need to send reports from VEB to multiple addresses, so we entered distribution list as recipient. Sender needs to be different. br, Matjaž
+1
mircmm
Lurker
Full Name: Miro Maher

[MERGED] different sender and receiver in email notification

Post by mircmm »

Hi !

The option to send email notifications in 1.5 was somethning I really missed.
But why is the same email address used as sender and as receiver ?

Please allow option to enter receiver email address (or even better: allow 3 receivers) separately and
to enter the sender account (email, account id, password, SMPT server settings, ...) separately.
Excuse me, if this was already requested on the forum, I searched for it but did not find it.

VEB is a great product, this would make it even better :)

Regards, Miro
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Miro,

Why not to use a distribution list instead? By the way, if you are using Veeam Backup and Replication repository as a target you can use global email notification option there.
WorkingHardInIt
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Didier Van Hoye

Post by WorkingHardInIt »

+1 on a <> sender & recipient address. For the different senders, inernally for server backups we'd love to have that option. In regards to multiple recipients, do note that distribution lists are not Always avaialable /feasible. So yes, allow that, it's a small change.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

+1 , would be great if we can define a adress for Sender and for recipients. why? i have multiple Servers backing up to a nas share. it would be much easier if i coud define a separate sender address for each server (server1@domain.local, server2@domain.local).
tmccullough
Lurker
Full Name: Todd McCullough

Post by tmccullough »

Agreed this is needed. We use an email to ticket system, so this means that every client we have using VEP, we're getting tickets opened with our own customer account in our ticket system versus generating a ticket from the client company. This causes a lot of manual flipping of tickets as we always have to change the company name. Huge pain point.
netmation
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Albert

Post by netmation » 1 person likes this post

I agree the "Configure and Test Email Notifications" screen needs to be re-done.

The email address entered in Email Settings is the login email to the server. Thus the UserID or email you enter in the SMTP Server Settings is redundant. IMO the Email Settings section should allow for destination email addresses to be entered, possibly several address separated by commas, and take out the password field in Email Settings.

Then put all the Configuration Settings in SMTP Server Settings section, where it should be, including email server name, password, and authentication requirements.
ziploop
Lurker

Post by ziploop »

Is there anything planed to change the Sender Adress in the next release ? Emails with same Sender & Recipient often marked as Spam.

Please change this
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi ziploop,

It's possible to have different from and to email address if email notifications feature is configured via Configuration API.

In VAW 2.0 beta you need you need to export configuration, manually type in email address and export config back. Check this post.
paysonsolutions
Lurker
Full Name: Todd Hayward

Post by paysonsolutions »

I'd like to be able to format the sender name:
"Client Name Veeam <veeam.client@domain.com>"
B&R 9.5 U4 still does not allow for this.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Todd,

Veeam B&R Console has granular email setting for agent jobs and protection group rescan. Will that help in your case? Thank you!
lebobo
Service Provider
Full Name: Bruno PELZER

[MERGED] RFE - Email Notification from/to different addresses

Post by lebobo »

We sell Veeam Backup Agent for Windows for our customers and they pay our technical team for the installation and for monitoring of their backups…
To monitor backups of our customers, we need to setup email notifications but with Veeam Backup Agent for Windows (v2 and also v3) sender and destination emails have to be the same !
In our case, it should be better if we could use email of the customer as sender and email of our technical team as destination like this :

I already search a lot on forums, websites… but I never found the solution to do that.
For the moment we use a workaround but it is not the best way because we have to bypass some security on our mailserver/firewall to allow incoming emails from/to the same address :
We send from/to our support team email address and we change the email object to be able to know wich customers’ notification it is : OUR_CUSTOMER_NAME_[%JobResult%] %ComputerName% - %CompletionTime%

It will be very appreciated if someone could send my request to Veeam's development team as RFE 😉
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Bruno,

I see that you're a service provider. Can you please give us a bit more information on how you manage these Agents remotely for your clients? Do you use Veeam Availability Console (VAC) or some other tools to do that? Currently, you can use separate email settings either in Veeam B&R when managing Agents or in VAC that has the flexibility of specifying these settings within its UI.

Thank you for your FR anyway!
lebobo
Service Provider

Post by lebobo »

Our customers use Veeam Backup Agent standalone (without any relationship with a VBR or other Veeam products) and their backups are stored on local NAS or on a VCC repository...
My question is : In this case (when VBA is used standalone), how can we send notifications to an email address that is not the same as sender address ?

Best regards,
Bruno
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Unfortunately, this is not possible with a standalone version of Veeam Agent unless you manage it with VAC or Veeam B&R.
lebobo
Service Provider

Post by lebobo »

hi Vitaliy, I think you are a veeam team member so, could you please ask to the development team to add this feature to be abble to have different sender/recipiet email address ?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who need this !
Best regards,
Bruno
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bruno,

Thank you for your feedback, consider its noted. Mind me asking, are you talking about free agents in your environment or these are licensed agents? Cheers!
lebobo
Service Provider

Post by lebobo »

Most of them are paid but some use free licences. But I have the same issue with both of them. I know that licenced could be managed by a VCC but in most of cases it's not possible for specific reasons...

Best regards,
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Bruno,

There is a hack for paid versions - you can setup senders email address via Configuration API (by exporting job settings to the xml file, modifying it and exporting it back).
wadeal
Novice

Post by wadeal »

At large MSP with many clients we are in process of evaluating changing small customers (a couple of servers on free ESXi usually) from ShadowProtect + ImageManager + Offsite replication to instead Veeam Agent (paid) + Veeam CC. On rolling out on first client have encountered this huge sticking point. We rely on using MailGuard (filtering) as our customers SMTP server which will not accept the sender email as the recipient. Then in our backup monitoring BackupRadar this relies on a unique email address sent from it appears.

While yes a work around is appreciated and going to test that, not just giving a sender address is pretty useless any other backup product I have used ever gives this.

Also as the post says then ever changing or I guess even looking at the settings UI and pressing OK would overwrite this. Our level 1/helpdesk staff aren't going to know this or remember or check the documentation even if I put it there to not do this when things stop working.. So this can't be a long term fix and we can't rollout out to at least our offices few dozen customers with this.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Since you're an MSP and considering a switch to VAW + Veeam Cloud Connect, then I would encourage taking a look at Veeam Availability Console, which is specifically designed for this scenario (see a Managing Veeam Backup Agents scenario). With VAC, you can configure email notification in the way you need to integrate with BackupRadar.

Thanks!
x-f
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jan Pribyl

Post by x-f »

After short research i found solution.

Veeam agent has configuration in MSSQL Express local db here: C:\ProgramData\Veeam\EndpointData
VeeamBackup.mdf and VeeamBackup_log.ldf.

1) Install SQL Server Management Studio

2) Open regedit, and look for path HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\DbConfiguration
There you can see pipe conenction string, login and pass for Veeams configuration database. Use it in SSMS to connect.

3) Notification configuration is in database VeeamBackup, table dbo.Options. Try Select top 1000 rows on table dbo.Options. You'll see row with name "email_notification". Column value is XML type, so it can't be edited directly in GUI. Use tsql query.

3) Copy cell value. It will be something like:

Code: Select all

<CMailOptions><Bcc /><Cc /><CredentialsId>{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}</CredentialsId><Enabled>True</Enabled><From>xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx</From><OnFailure>True</OnFailure><OnSuccess>True</OnSuccess><OnWarning>True</OnWarning><OnLastRetryOnly>True</OnLastRetryOnly><Port>25</Port><Server>smtp.xxxxx.xxxx</Server><Subject>[%JobResult%] %ComputerName% - %JobName% - %CompletionTime%</Subject><Timeout>180000</Timeout><To>xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx; xxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx</To><UseSsl>False</UseSsl></CMailOptions>
4) Make changes. In <to> </To> may be more then one destination. Separated by semicolon.

5) Select New Query on database in SSMS, and type:

Code: Select all

UPDATE dbo.Options
SET value = 'modified_content_of_cell_from_step_3'
WHERE name = 'email_notification'
GO
6) Execute query.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Instead of messing up with the configuration database via an unsupported way ;), it is highly recommended to use fully supported approaches (via Configuration API or integration with VBR/VSPC). Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

We've update the Help Center with the email configuration details. To change the settings you need to use Veeam Agent Configurator tool: basically you need to export the configuration to xml, change the application parameters and then import the xml back to the agent. Cheers!