Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ml35
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Windows build 2004 is around the corner

Post by ml35 »

<rant>

Here we go again...

Given the following facts:

1. The Windows 20H1 API is stabilized since late December (via Flight Hub)

2. Windows 20H1 build 2004 release is around the corner

3. Veeam statement that free home end-users are not a priority

Let's place our bets: when do you expect Windows 20H1 in free Veeam Agent for Windows? I would say July at the most optimistic dream. What do you think? A normal company would already have working builds of their product compatible with Windows 20H1 2004 build. The lack of a such veeam build is frustrating as you can't upgrade now to the new Windows build...

What Veeam forgets or chooses to ignore is that maybe some of us are system engineers that try their free agent on their home workstations, then based on the experience they recommend it or not to the production at work. Based on current personal experience with their free product I would not recommend Veeam at my work place.

</rant>
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Windows build 2004 is around the corner

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ml35,

We've already confirmed that existing Veeam Agent for Windows v4 can backup Windows version 2004, but unfortunately the recovery media components are again broken (as Microsoft keeps changing DLLs we rely upon).

Obviously, we cannot rely on early non-GA builds to provide fully functioning support, because the same components may change again in the GA build. Thus, we will start working on the official support for both free and paid customers once this Windows release reaches the RTM stage.

P.S. If you have confirmed any other issues with current version of Veeam Agent for Windows v4 and Windows version 2004 , you are welcome to share it with us here. I will forward such feedback to our QA team for a review immediately. Cheers!
ml35
Enthusiast

Post by ml35 »

Can we use earlier recovery media for a newer version? Could it be possible for any recovery media to restore any windows build? Like we can boot any Linux using almost any version of "system rescue cd" (as long as it sees the network and storage...) then rsync any linux distribution from a rsync backup?

For now I wanted to make a backup and restore using 1909 media on agent v4... before trying 20H1 - and surprise, v4 agent and 1909 media = does not see the backup files in the nas share... veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/recovery-me ... 66657.html
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

ml35 wrote: Apr 26, 2020 10:02 amLet's place our bets: when do you expect Windows 20H1 in free Veeam Agent for Windows? I would say July at the most optimistic dream. What do you think?
This seems about right. As a rule of thumb, our new platform support commitment for "breaking" platform releases is 90 days since the GA date, primarily because we have a release vehicle only once a quarter, which in turn makes 90 days the "worst case scenario". However, if the issue is hotfixable, then the hotfix will normally be released quite quickly.
SnakeSK
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Post by SnakeSK »

Hi Dima, the RE Veeam is using is built from WinPE/WinRE, is that right? That is finalized along with ADK on Microsofts website, maybe you can take a look at that. If you need any info I am currently running 2004 on my personal NB
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello SnakeSK,
the RE Veeam is using is built from WinPE/WinRE, is that right?
Recovery Media is created from built-in Windows Recovery Environment. Indeed it's finalized, however, several dll's were changed - thus we have this recovery media creation issue addressed in later versions.
That is finalized along with ADK on Microsofts website, maybe you can take a look at that. If you need any info I am currently running 2004 on my personal NB
We have it in our lab, but thanks for you proposal!
mp37c4
Novice
Liked: never

Post by mp37c4 »

Hi there,
Win 10 20H1 is currently deployed by MS using Windows update... I will delay the installation until I have a working backup solution including SA restore.
Do you now have any estimates when the new version will be available? Maybe as a pre-GA release?

Kind regards
Olaf
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

For agents managed by Veeam B&R you can install the latest Veeam Backup & Replication 10 Cumulative Patch 2 on top of Veeam B&R server and that will fix all issues with the recovery media creation on 2004 build.

For standalone agents official support will be provided with the upcoming update, we plan to release it together with upcoming update for Veeam B&R v10. Cheers!
ml35
Enthusiast

Post by ml35 »

Dima P. wrote: Apr 27, 2020 6:30 pm We've already confirmed that existing Veeam Agent for Windows v4 can backup Windows version 2004, but unfortunately the recovery media components are again broken (as Microsoft keeps changing DLLs we rely upon).
hm, I wonder can we use an older working recovery media (say 1909) to restore a 20H1 from backup as long as we do not select the option to inject drivers?

I can confirm the agent can backup the 20H1 release, though!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

ml35,

Should work. The issues we had were related to the components collection (i.e. when you create brand new RE from 2004). Cheers!
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

A Windows vm with Veeam Agent for Windows 3.0.2.1170 got upgraded last night to 20H1. Today I found the scheduling of the backup job disabled (the "run automatically" check box was unchecked). It was positively enabled just prior of the update, as the backups confirm. Is it possible that the update disabled the scheduling? Has anyone else observed this behavior?
johnbo
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by johnbo »

I wonder if this version of windows is causeing my problem here

veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/restoring-p ... 67516.html
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

It was positively enabled just prior of the update, as the backups confirm. Is it possible that the update disabled the scheduling? Has anyone else observed this behavior?
Job schedule is disabled automatically only in case you change the licensing mode (to avoid restore point deletion due to the difference in scheduling and retention options in Server mode vs Workstation/Free mode). Can you please check that you agent is still running in the same mode under About tab of Veeam Agent for Windows?
I wonder if this version of windows is causeing my problem here
Looks completely unrelated, but I'll share the investigating results.
DatatoSecure
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: François Picard

Post by DatatoSecure » 2 people like this post

Good day,

Windows 10 build 2004 breaks the Veeam Service Provider Console Communication Agent's configuration.

In veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/last-backup ... 67712.html I've added the following:

Right after upgrading to version 2004 of Windows 10, Veeam Agent backup’s stops.

I found out after some testing a way to get back to normal, and it works on Windows 10 version 2004, no need to downgrade.
Uninstall and reinstall the Veeam Service Provider Console Communication Agent. Don’t need to reboot.
Via the Windows menu, go in the Veeam Management Agent, re-enter Username & Password.
Click Apply.

Reactivate the client via the Veeam Service Provider Console: under the Discovered Backup Agents menu switch to Manage Mode for the deactivated agents.
And Voila! Your Veeam Agent can back up again!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

It breaks the configuration db file.
I have a customer, all updated to version Win10 2004 on their notebooks, after that, the edb file with the configuration was corrupted and management services doesn‘t start anymore.

I have removed conf database folder and reconfigured the agent like you did it too :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

François, Fabian,

Can you please clarify a bit regarding the VSPC management agent? Does it stop working together with the backup after upgrading to 2004? Does it happen with fresh installations too?

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Vitaly

It happened sometime (or directly after) the windows updates.
My customer has called me (mid June), that backup wasn‘t working anymore. I can try to find out, when was the the update and when was the corruption from the configuration database (edb file).

Since recreating the configuration database on win10 2004, the management agent runs stable without the corruption again.

I will try to find call my customer tomorrow to get you some more informations.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, just to put it straight :) Was the corruption related to the backup agent or the management agent?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Management Agent database :)
There are logs from the management agent which tells me, configuration database is corrupted.
I‘m not 100% sure, if backup agent was also Affected.
Backup wasn‘t running until I have reseted the management agent configuration to zero and reregistered it with VAC (VSCP).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, now it is clear. I will ask our QA team to reproduce it and release a public hotfix if necessary. Thanks for reporting the issue!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

I have found a copy of the mentioned log part:

Code: Select all

2020-06-17 18:17:37.0256 [ERROR ] 9576 [___4] AgentService: Failed to start service, Microsoft.Isam.Esent.Interop.EsentSecondaryIndexCorruptedException: Secondary index is corrupt. The database must be defragmented or the affected index must be deleted. If the corrupt index is over Unicode text, a likely cause is a sort-order change.
   bei Veeam.DataModel.EseCore.Public.EsentSession.Connect(Session session, String fileName)
   bei Veeam.DataModel.EseCore.Public.EsentSession..ctor(Instance instance, String fileName, Int32 connectRetryCount)
   bei Veeam.DataModel.EseCore.Public.EsentDbProvider.IsDataBaseCreated()
   bei Veeam.DataModel.EseCore.Public.EsentDbProvider..ctor(String fileName, String instanceName, EEventLoggingLevels loggingLevels)
   bei Veeam.SPP.Agent.ClientAgent..ctor(Guid agentId, AgentRole agentRole, SecureString password, ServiceBase service)
   bei Veeam.SPP.Agent.ClientRoleAgent.StartClientAgent(ServiceBase service)
   bei Veeam.SPP.Agent.ClientRoleAgent.Start(ServiceBase service)
   bei Veeam.SPP.Agent.AgentServiceFactory.Start(ServiceBase service)
   bei Veeam.SPP.Agent.AgentService.DoStart()
   bei Veeam.SPP.Agent.AgentService.OnStart(String[] args)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good, our team was able to reproduce it. Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Ok, happy to help you out :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

Veeam Agent for Windows 4.0.1 RTM with official support for Windows 2004 is available and you can request it via our support channel in case you are having issues with the latest 2004 release. Do not forget to share the feedback with us. Cheers!
Eaton
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by Eaton » 1 person likes this post

Is it not downloadable on the website? Seems like a strange choice to have to ask for it.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Veeam v10a and Agents are planned to go GA (General Available) on 4th of august if everything is going well (no major errors found until then).
After that, they are available to download from the page.
pciccone
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Phil Ciccone

Post by pciccone »

This is turning into a disaster for us. We have machines dropped like flies as they get upgraded. We are a service provider, we cannot access the agents to fix them and this creates a very uncomfortable situation to our customers and extreme stress on our helpdesk to get our customers computers back online. We need a solution ASAP. I recognize the new ManagementAgent fixes the problem, and I know we have a workaround but how do we get the Service Provider Console to send the new agent out ASAP (like fast) before all of our customers move to Windows 10 2004. I applied the latest patch 2 that was offereed as of today, and it still doesnt have the latest agent. I tried updating the agent manually in the folder, but the console doesn't recognize it's newer to update the agents on the affected end-user PCs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Phil,
pciccone wrote: and I know we have a workaround but how do we get the Service Provider Console to send the new agent out ASAP (like fast) before all of our customers move to Windows 10 2004.

Do you refer to the management agent or the backup agent? If this is the former, then once you install VSPC patch 2 then all your management agents will be updated automatically (usually happens within one hour depending on the infrastructure size).

Thanks!
ml35
Enthusiast

Post by ml35 »

Mildur wrote: Jul 30, 2020 7:00 pm Veeam v10a and Agents are planned to go GA (General Available) on 4th of august if everything is going well (no major errors found until then).
After that, they are available to download from the page.
it's one month later and the agent still does not see the update...
ml35
Enthusiast

Post by ml35 »

also... before and after update, create recovery media is stuck at "adding system drivers" with no resources being consumed (cpu/disk)