Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
fja
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Feature request: Mediaset content report

Post by fja »

We are using GFS tape setup for monthly / yearly of-media archiving. This is part of our IT Security policies and disaster / recovery procedures. To ensure full 'of-line' documentation we need to be able to get a report on files / server stored on media set. Best would be if this could be scheduled / linked somehow.

Could you please provide a option to generate or send detailed report of content on mediaset?

To put in context: we have a system supporting us in generating disaster-recovery handbooks. This setup includes documents on systems, relations and dependencies as well as recovery procedures.
We need to add media reports allowing os to select proper medias for prioritised recovery - including list of latest backup of Veeam configuration and content library.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature request: Mediaset content report

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
There are several Veeam Backup Tape reports including Tape Backups report in Veeam ONE.
Thanks!
fja
Enthusiast

Post by fja »

Hi Shestakov,
thx very much for quick answer. My knowledge on Veeam ONE is rather limited as during my testing I have found it a bit confusing...
I checked the links, and there are lots of report, only these are on hig level and on logging of the tape procedures and stuff- I'm not able to find anything on the mediset content

To clarify - the 'content' here is a complete list of included Veeam backup FILES and specifying the (virtual) servers stored in each file - and - information on backup date, status, expiry and so on.

Key point is during a disaster recovery to be able to pinpoint the exact tape(s) to restore a specific server - in accordance with our prioritised recovery list... AND based on the asumption that Veeam itself was clean installed on new servers.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

fja wrote:To clarify - the 'content' here is a complete list of included Veeam backup FILES and specifying the (virtual) servers stored in each file - and - information on backup date, status, expiry and so on.
Key point is during a disaster recovery to be able to pinpoint the exact tape(s) to restore a specific server
That`s exactly what above-mentioned Tape Backups report is designed for. Note that it contains a drill-down for each backup file with the list of VMs and tapes needed for the restore.
fja
Enthusiast

Post by fja »

....ahhhh! misunderstanding here.

You can not do drill-down in printed report! The DR plan must NOT require systems (like Veeam ONE) to be on-line...

I need a report in a pdf or exported data to xls to be able to have all needed information on decentral setup (IT's laptops as example..)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Yeah, that`s an issue. But if you build a report with thousands backups, meaning drill-down reports, it may result in a huge number of pages.
We are planning to resolve it in future versions though.
dpatel
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by dpatel » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I am not sure about GFS media pool. But, for normal media pool if you move media to a Vault, then you can extract content list from Veeam ONE.

Report Name: TAPE VAULTS OVERVIEW
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

dpatel,
You are right. And if you need information from several reports you can use Report Builder to combine it.
Thanks!
fja
Enthusiast

Post by fja »

just revisited this problem - it's a busy world ;-)

I got Veeam ONE to work, and has many fine features - but this reporting problem is still very much an issue.

Tried the 'Tape Vaults Overview' - and it does give list of tapes in the vault - so could be used for workaround. However it does not give any usable info ion content.

Also tried 'Tape GFS Backup Files' - at that is actually providing the information. Unfortunately it only shows yearly - and all sets. No option to select monthly or specific month or year.

So what is needed is a report showing the same info found in 'Tape GFS Backup Files' - but preferably for a specific selected Media set.

I also tried to get this using report builder, but the combination of options is not available at all..

Please assist in getting this done, as it is as far as I can see the only way to get a report showing if a media set is actually containing completed restore points, and also which tapes are needed for restore.
..and again - this need to be in a schedulable pdf report for external archiving

Reason for using mediaset (or selection of jobs) is that we have several problems getting GFS to handle monthly / early correct - so had to split into new tapejob run once a year - and use GFS for monthly only...
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello.
Long time no see :)
In addition to the mentioned reports in v10 we have released a new one called Backups on Tape. It shows explicitly what is stored on the tapes. Have you checked it already?
Thanks
fja
Enthusiast

Post by fja »

no - we are not on V10 yet. Checked the link - and might have the details, but out tape pool includes several hundred tapes - and stating included tapes for each run is asking for typo/errors. Seems not to cover our need (based on description on your link)
Why not 'just' add feature of selecting media set?? Guess most users does as we do: ensure descriptive mediasets for easy sorting…. Need that to reflect in Veeam tape report selection as well - best in form of drop-down - or just 'latest' mediaset in a given pool
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

We added Media Pool for the better navigation as it's the most commonly used among users.
Will take you request into account for the next releases.
winnt
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Jason D

Post by winnt » 2 people like this post

I created an SQL query/PowerShell script to export the contents of all tapes to a CSV file here:
post280337.html#p280337
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

++ For winnt's script. Have used it to great success with many clients, and I can confirm it works in 10a. Thank you winnt! I really appreciate your work on that.
winnt
Enthusiast

Post by winnt »

I'm so happy you are getting use out of it! I wasn't sure if people were using it or not. It is also a relief to see it continue to work after each Veeam upgrade.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jason,

Thank you for sharing your script! Mind me asking how much time does it take to export your content to the csv file and what amount of objects you got? Cheers!
winnt
Enthusiast

Post by winnt »

8,200 tape objects takes three seconds once power shell modules are loaded. Otherwise it takes around ten seconds total including loading the modules.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Sounds really fast - I was worried that such query will require lot of time to finish, so thanks for sharing!