Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
yu_ooyama
Novice
Liked: never

A full backup was performed, not an incremental backup

Post by yu_ooyama »

My customer had a backup failure due to an error.

Code: Select all

[20.08.2020 19:14:47] <16> Error    Microsoft SQL server hosting the configuration database is currently unavailable. Possible reasons are heavy load, networking issue, server reboot, or hot backup.
This error was fixed by restarting the Veeam server.
However, the next backup was supposed to run an incremental backup, but a full backup was performed.
I did not manually run Active Full, and Active Full's regular execution is disabled in the settings.
When I checked "Properties" in the console under HOME>Backsups>Disk, I couldn't see the backups before this full backup.

What are the possible causes of this?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2895 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: A full backup was performed, not an incremental backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you were told in red... before creating a forum thread for a technical issue, you need to check with support.

veeam-backup-replication-f2/rules-of-po ... -t755.html

That error looks like you have a virtual backup server that backed up itself (not recommended). That's my guess for the issue and and the post will be deleted without case number as guessing is not knowing.

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: A full backup was performed, not an incremental backup

Post by foggy »

And since you do not see any backups prior to the one that was created next to the job failure, then it couldn't be incremental as the first backup in the chain is always full (even though the full is not effectively scheduled on that day).