Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
badabing888
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

ReFS vs XFS Repo's

Post by badabing888 »

Hi All,

Has anyone run both of these in their environment?
Curious to see how they are performing obviously this is dependent on underlying storage / disk to a point.

I'm just seeing high read latency on the ReFS Repo's (Which is unusual when it in general is more write intensive) vs XFS repo's for similar backup throughput / volume / underlying storage has anyone seen anything similar? Not an issue more an observation at this point.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: ReFS vs XFS Repo's

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

I don‘t have any values to compare both filesystems.
I have a customer with 20 TB FullBackup Size and Backups are running perfectly fine on XFS.

We are going forward with xfs from now on. Linux backup Repos will get the interesting immutable feature with veeam v11 too.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 »

We are using both. So far XFS is working well.
Just one thing to point out although it might be obvious, don't mix in the same scaleout XFS and REFS repositories. There are many reasons but different block size for one is an important one.

cheers
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
mikeman91095
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael

[MERGED] ReFS vs XFS, who wins?

Post by mikeman91095 »

Hey guys, was curious if anyone could give some info on XFS vs ReFS. I understand the Windows vs Linux, but as a file system for a repository how do they compare?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi @mikeman91095,

Moved your post to the existing thread with ReFS and XFS comparison.
Please take a look at the discussion above.

Thanks!
mikeman91095
Novice

Post by mikeman91095 »

One of the major pain points for us with ReFS repos is the inability to move synth fulls that are fast cloned, since this would then cause the files to inflate. From my research, based on the design of both XFS and ReFS this is just how the file systems are designed to function. Digging through the documentation for the xfs_copy command I ran into a flag, specifically the -d flag, that looks like it might combat this issue (https://linux.die.net/man/8/xfs_copy). Can anyone confirm if I could move backup files that include synth fules to a new volume formatted as XFS and according to the Veeam documentation for use as a Veeam repo by copying with the xfs_copy command and the -d flag?
mikeman91095
Novice

Post by mikeman91095 »

ober72 wrote: Oct 22, 2020 5:02 pm We are using both. So far XFS is working well.
Just one thing to point out although it might be obvious, don't mix in the same scaleout XFS and REFS repositories. There are many reasons but different block size for one is an important one.

cheers
How's your experience maintaing both of these? I had some big issues with fragmentation of ReFS repositories causing health checks to take FOREVER.
badabing888
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by badabing888 »

We have been running both for awhile, anything new has been XFS. So far i prefer XFS seems to be less resource hungry doesnt need as much memory etc