Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Vejete
Technology Partner
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jim Turner

Challenge with shared storage in virtual cluster

Post by Vejete »

IHAC with a 10-node Hyper-V cluster. Within Hyper-V, he has three Server 2019 VMs that act as nodes in their own VM cluster. The cluster package within this VM cluster, as I understand it, is for publishing file shares. As such, there is shared storage (virtual disks, presumably VHDX) that is visible on the active VM node. When the cu tries to backup these three VMs with VBR, the backup fails. I've not seen the messages, but I'm guessing VSS is not happy with the idea of creating shadow volumes for cluster shared storage. That or Veeam is yet to have the business logic needed to process it properly.

I have noted these two links:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
servers-workstations-f49/windows-cluste ... 49607.html

The cu needs a viable workaround for backing up the shared storage within their VM cluster to a StoreOnce based repo. All advice appreciated!
=====
Jim Turner, VMCE 2020
Master Technologist & BURA Evangelist
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Challenge with shared storage in virtual cluster

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
When the cu tries to backup these three VMs with VBR, the backup fails.
looks like you are using the wrong user guide. VMs should be backed up with Veeam Backup & Replication. Not with the Veeam Agent for Windows :-)

I recommend the Hyper-V quick start guide to get used to Veeam and Hyper-V: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes
Vejete
Technology Partner
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jim Turner

Post by Vejete »

Hi HannesK,

The Hyper-V VMs are being backed up with VBR (Veeam Backup and Replication). Not sure where you go the idea we were trying to use the Agent for Windows. Long story short, VBR for Hyper-V doesn't like VMs that are themselves nodes in a virtual failover cluster because of the virtual cluster shared storage present. It's the "cluster within a cluster" that is causing our problem.

Thanks,
Jim
=====
Jim Turner, VMCE 2020
Master Technologist & BURA Evangelist
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
VBR for Hyper-V doesn't like VMs that are themselves nodes in a virtual failover cluster because of the virtual cluster shared storage present
from the original post, I could not manage to find out that this kind of setup is in place.

If you have a Windows failover cluster running inside Hyper-V (or VMware), then I would go with Veeam Agent for Windows (VAW installed inside the VMs).

Depending on the setup of the virtual cluster, there might be other options available for Hyper-V: https://www.veeam.com/kb2709

Best regards,
Hannes