Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Irek
Novice
Liked: never

Windows ADK

Post by Irek »

Hello,

I currently run a trial version of VBR v10. I have an Azure VM server to test my backups and I use the Veeam Agent to backup this machine.
The first backup has been completed with the following warning:
"Collecting recovery media files Details: Windows recovery image file not found" - which I understand is related to https://www.veeam.com/kb3073.

My questions are:

1.Do I actually need the Veeam Recovery Media to restore Azure VM back to Azure?
2. What are the advantages of having Veeam Recovery Media?
3. Does it the Veeam Recovery Media merges with other backup files or this is a separate file?

Kind Regards,
Irek
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2288 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Windows ADK

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

I don‘t know about the Recovery ISO, bit there is a direct restore possibility with the help of a vbr server todo a restore from a agent backup to Azure:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

The Recovery ISO is mostly used for booting up Physical Hardware and do a bare metal recovery of this machine.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Windows ADK

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Irek,

1. Mentioned above by Mildur, there is a Direct Restore to MS Azure option, a single wizard that will restore machine to Azure by only having Azure account credentials.
2. Veeam Recovery Media gives more granular control over partitions during restore - you can manually set locations\sizes of each partition. It also gives more control over drivers and tricky hardware in cases where new devices will be way different than original and\or require special drivers to operate with - like new RAID Controller for example.
3. Veeam Recovery Media is a separate .iso file that you can burn to DVD\write on USB\mount to VM to boot from it.

/Cheers!