Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
maxfontana
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Massimiliano Fontana

V6 won't install. Vpower NFS fails to start

Post by maxfontana »

Hi there,
trying to upgrade from a V5 version but during the last step of starting services, I get this error Error 1920 Sevice veeam Vpower NFS Service (veeamnfssvc) failed to start. verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
The program has erased My v5 installation and I can't recover the vm ( veeam runs on a Windows7 vm)from a backup....
Should I immediately open a ticket?
Thanks in advance,
max
ManuG2k
Influencer
Full Name: Manuel

Re: V6 won't install. Vpower NFS fails to start

Post by ManuG2k »

I have the same problem :(
I opened a ticket to technical support
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Certainly support can help, but I'd look for possible conflicts with another installed service. Also, make sure the old V5 NFS service was properly removed and is no longer running.
maxbbs
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Max Edwards

Post by maxbbs » 1 person likes this post

Hi Guys

I had this problem also, for me it was the 'Veeam Deployment Service' (Veeam Installer Service) which failed to start, same error as you have. On closer examination this service was bound to a port... service manager showed this as the full path to the executable

"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\VeeamDeploymentSvc.exe" -port 6160

I ran netstat -aon and found that I had some other software installed which had already claimed port 6160. I identified the PID and was able to match the process that was hogging this port, in my case it was the print spooler. I stopped the spooler service and was then able to install properly.

I'm not sure if VeeamNFS is bound to any 'special' ports... I believe 2049 is the default port for NFS so maybe that's a good place to start looking for conflicts. On my system NFS is using ports TCP 1058, 2049, 6161 UDP 1058, 2049.

Cheers

Max
maxfontana
Influencer

Post by maxfontana »

Thanks but in my case the full path is not showing me any port specified.....
In the meantime openend a ticket...waitin' for an answer
Regards,
Max
maxfontana
Influencer

Post by maxfontana »

Ok problem solved.
In my case the issue was caused by the Snare service, an eventlog agent.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Best regards
Max
ManuG2k
Influencer
Full Name: Manuel

Post by ManuG2k »

maxfontana wrote:Ok problem solved.
In my case the issue was caused by the Snare service, an eventlog agent.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Best regards
Max
how you solved it exactly ?
maxfontana
Influencer

Post by maxfontana »

I stopped the service Snare and this made possible to complete the veeam installation.
Then I removed the Snare program and reinstalled it using another service port.
Max
jldwyer1420
Influencer
Full Name: Jeff Dwyer

Post by jldwyer1420 »

Snare got me also. Thanks for the post. - JLD
iShBuu
Lurker
Full Name: Greg Duescher

Post by iShBuu »

Ditto on the Snare service.

Sad it has been 4 days emailing support to just try and get a required port list from them. It was clear as day once you posted the list.

Thanks.
bradclark
Novice
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Brad Clark

Post by bradclark »

I had the same problem with SNARE. Changed to the default Web Server port from 6161 to something else like 9191 and restarted the service. Everything installed fine after that.
cindermonkey
Novice
Full Name: Scott

Post by cindermonkey »

SNARE, almost made me want to punch a baby.... Thank God you guys were here.
Skyview
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times

Post by Skyview »

Snare was causing this issue for me as well. Thanks for the post. Just reinstalled with it listening on a different port.
mverwoerd
Lurker
Full Name: Mark Verwoerd

Post by mverwoerd » 1 person likes this post

We have a customer with a print spooler listening on port 6160 aswell.
Thanks to this threat (stopping the print spooler) I was able to install Veeam Backup & Replication 6.1, the setup kept crashing on starting services otherwise.

But the customer really likes to print :) But without the "Veeam Installer Service" running on port 6160 the Veeam backup job cant find the server :(
Is there a way to change the listening port 6160 of the Veeam Installer Service? The edit button is grayed out!

I already tried to change the port of the Veeam Installer Service in regedit, then the service starts, but Veeam can't find the server then either.
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

You can actually change it when adding a server into Veeam. Under Infrastructure -> Servers -> Add Server -> On the Credentials page you can select "Ports" and change the port.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
mverwoerd
Lurker
Full Name: Mark Verwoerd

Post by mverwoerd »

Yea tried that:

Its grayed out?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It is possible to change these ports during initial installation of the components only. If you have one of the components already deployed, you need to uninstall it manually and re-run this wizard to change the port.
pparks1
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Patrick Parks

Post by pparks1 »

I've also stumbled upon this problem as well.

I was testing the upgrade from 5.0.2 to 6.5. Once I got 6.5 running, I ran the Configuration Backup and made a backup of my config. I then formatted my box, started from scratch and put down the configuration backup to test recoverability. The problem that I ran into was that my backups were previously in E:\backups and now they are in D:\backups. I couldn't correct the location of the repository, so I decided to uninstall everything Veeam related and reinstall Veeam 6.5.

Problem is, when installing, it gets to the very end of the install where it starts services and throws the 1920 Service Veeam vPower NFS Service (VeeamNFSSvc) failed to start. Verity that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

My service account IS in the local admins group. I have UAC disabled. I see no port number of my NFS Service to correlate with what might be using a port already. I've checked for port 6160 with netstat -aon and it's not in use. I have rebooted. I have removed the SQL components, I've ensured all Veeam services are removed, etc.

I'm going to just throw in the towel, format and reinstall again to get around this, but it's certainly frustrating that I've lost about 2 hours on this issue and cannot get around it.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Patrick, thanks for posting into existing topic. I suspect that the issue is in the repository path change and would recommend to contact technical support team as they could review your installation log files and locate possible reason of the failure. Thanks.
tostao1989
Lurker

[MERGED] upgrade proxy problems

Post by tostao1989 »

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade a proxy server after update the veeam backup server to the last path (7.0.0.871). I have 5 proxys availables in my infraestructure and i have been able to upgrade 4 of them. The other one which i can´t it is the proxy which is in the same veeam backup server.
When I run the upgrade wizard I see the vPower NFS like upgrade required but when i try to do it i receive an error "1920 Service Veeam vPower NFS Service (VeeamNFSSvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services"

I am running the application with a domain admin so I don´t know what it is the cause of that problem.

Can somebody help me?

Sorry if this forum is not the correct to this post, and sorry again for my english as you can imagine I am not a native speaker :roll:

thanks in advance
Regards.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If nothing mentioned in this thread above helps, I recommend contacting support for a closer look at your installation. Thanks.
AntonR
Lurker

Post by AntonR »

mverwoerd wrote: Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm We have a customer with a print spooler listening on port 6160 aswell.
Thanks to this threat (stopping the print spooler) I was able to install Veeam Backup & Replication 6.1, the setup kept crashing on starting services otherwise.

But the customer really likes to print :) But without the "Veeam Installer Service" running on port 6160 the Veeam backup job cant find the server :(
Is there a way to change the listening port 6160 of the Veeam Installer Service? The edit button is grayed out!

I already tried to change the port of the Veeam Installer Service in regedit, then the service starts, but Veeam can't find the server then either.

Dear verwoerd, tell me please, how did you solve this problem? (the print spooler)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

I wouldn't hope to get an answer since this user was last active on forums in 2012. ;) If re-installing the components doesn't help, feel free to contact technical support for assistance. Thanks!