Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

VAW "Free" to supress recovery media alerts

Post by zadrian »

I have recently upgraded VAW from 2.xx to the latest 3.0.1.1039 (free edition)....for users (non-admin) and myself (domain admin)

As I have all along been using only file level backup (user personal files, stored on a Veeam backup repository on a Veeam B&R server) therefore there was no recovery media ever created.

I have tried to dismiss the message " Veeam recovery media must be recreated due to a recent Veeam Agent for Windows upgrade" for myself and users (requires admin password). But the alert keeps coming back when the users reboot....sometimes as often as a few minutes after I dismissed the message and close the GUI to the Win10 task bar or when we click "about".

Is there a way to remotely & permanently dismiss the message ?
Is the really a need to create the recovery media (even if we only backup user personal files) ? If yes, is there a command line to run the create recovery media (so I can run remotely) ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VAW "Free" to supress recovery media alerts

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello zadrian,

Veeam Agent does not track what backup mode you use when showing this notification since you can always change the backup mode or add additional backup jobs. Veeam recovery media is not required in case you are protecting files and folders (but you still can use it as a bootable media whenever it's needed)

In your situation you have two options to choose from:

1. You can disable all notifications via Control Panel Settings
2. You can disable recovery media notifications by adding the following registry key

Code: Select all

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\RecoveryMediaVersion (REG_SZ)
The value of the key should match the OS version (so data field should be set 10.0 or 8.1, etc)

It's currently not possible to initiate recovery media remotely, but we do support recovery media creation from the backup file via Veeam B&R (agent backup should be created by Veeam B&R in such case).

Hope this helps!
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Noted...thanks
zadrian
Expert

[MERGED] Disable recovery media needed error message.

Post by zadrian »

I have recently upgraded VAW from 3.xx & 4.xx to the latest 5.xxx (free edition)....for users (non-admin) and myself (domain admin)

As I have all along been using only file level backup (user personal files, stored on a Veeam backup repository on a Veeam B&R server) therefore there was no recovery media ever created.

I have tried to dismiss the message " Veeam recovery media must be recreated due to a recent Veeam Agent for Windows upgrade" for myself and users (requires admin password). But the alert keeps coming back when the users reboot....sometimes as often as a few minutes after I dismissed the message and close the GUI to the Win10 task bar or when we click "about".

Is there a way to remotely & permanently dismiss the message ? Can I run this command remotely (or deploy this command) ?
Is the really a need to create the recovery media (even if we only backup user personal files) ? If yes, is there a command line to run the create recovery media (so I can run remotely) ?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi @zadrian,

Moved your post to the existing thread, please check if the suggested solution works for you.

You can also create recovery media once and remove it.

Thanks!
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Same solution as before ?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Have you tried to disable recovery media notifications with the reg key?
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Not yet as I need to run on a test machine to see registry value to update.