Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
zadrian
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

VAW "Free" to supress recovery media alerts

Post by zadrian » May 17, 2019 4:11 am

I have recently upgraded VAW from 2.xx to the latest 3.0.1.1039 (free edition)....for users (non-admin) and myself (domain admin)

As I have all along been using only file level backup (user personal files, stored on a Veeam backup repository on a Veeam B&R server) therefore there was no recovery media ever created.

I have tried to dismiss the message " Veeam recovery media must be recreated due to a recent Veeam Agent for Windows upgrade" for myself and users (requires admin password). But the alert keeps coming back when the users reboot....sometimes as often as a few minutes after I dismissed the message and close the GUI to the Win10 task bar or when we click "about".

Is there a way to remotely & permanently dismiss the message ?
Is the really a need to create the recovery media (even if we only backup user personal files) ? If yes, is there a command line to run the create recovery media (so I can run remotely) ?

shakhdan
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Daniil Shakhovskiy

Re: VAW "Free" to supress recovery media alerts

Post by shakhdan » May 17, 2019 3:43 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello zadrian,

Veeam Agent does not track what backup mode you use when showing this notification since you can always change it or add more jobs. But you're right; the Veeam recovery media creation is not required if you're protecting files and folder only.

In your situation you have two options to choose from:

1. You can just disable all notifications in the Agent settings
2. Alternatively, you can disable recovery media notifications only by adding a new key in the registry.

Code: Select all

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\RecoveryMediaVersion (REG_SZ)
The value of the key should match the OS version you use. For example, in the Data field set 10.0 or 8.1, etc.

Finally, please make sure that this key (RecoveryMediaUpdateRequired) is not present in the registry of the remote computers. After these steps are complete, notifications about creating recovery media should disappear.

As to creating a recovery media remotely, then this feature is not available.

Hope this helps!