Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
rv112
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Carsten

"Reconnectable protocol device was closed"

Post by rv112 »

Hi!

Since today I get on both of my backup agents the error "Reconnectable protocol device was closed" when trying to do a backob job to my replication server. I did trying to restart anything but nothing helped.
Any ideas what causes this issue? I also tried disabling the firewall. My Windows Server is in same LAN as the workstation agents.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: "Reconnectable protocol device was closed"

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Carsten and welcome to the community!

There are a bunch of reasons why the error can appear:
Here are the search results for review.
It's worth to contact the support team and let them take a closer look, do not forget to share the case ID in this thread.

Thanks!
rv112
Lurker
Full Name: Carsten

Post by rv112 » 1 person likes this post

I fixed it my own, thanks! I had installed a new Virtual IP interface that seems to cause this problem. Only one ethernet adapter works again now.
cableguy
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Andreas Lietz

Post by cableguy » 1 person likes this post

Tipp: if you get this error, check that your backup job is using the correct backup proxy server.

I just got that same error with some backups and it turned out that we were accidentally using a backup proxy over a slow WAN link instead of the local one. Apparently the slow connection led to this error.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Thanks for your feedback! However, the best way to resolve any error is to contact our support team and to provide us with a support case ID.
The error mentioned above can be triggered due to many different reasons, most of them are related to unstable connection between Source and Target Data Movers.

Thanks!
techie4hire
Lurker
Full Name: Scott Ueland

Post by techie4hire » 1 person likes this post

rv112 wrote: Jan 02, 2020 5:00 pm I had installed a new Virtual IP interface that seems to cause this problem. Only one ethernet adapter works again now.
I can confirm this behavior. I recently updated Oracle VirtualBox to 6.1 on several of my laptops, After that, backups via the Windows version of the Veeam Agent would not complete to my Veeam Backup and Replication Server. Same results on both v10 and v11 versions of the above (community editions). "Reconnectable protocol device was closed" in the log, was always the result.

The solution was to disable the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. This virtual adapter only needs to be enabled for VMs that are using it as a network adapter, otherwise it can be left disabled (which is done by right-clicking on this adapter under "Network Connections" and clicking "Disable").
schlimpf
Lurker
Liked: 2 times

Post by schlimpf » 2 people like this post

In case anyone else is having the same issue. For me it was a network driver on the backup proxy that seemed to cause these issues. After a Windows and driver update, everything seems to work now.
ZoranJ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Zoran Jaksic

Post by ZoranJ »

Hello!

Same problem.
Everything was ok until I upgraded to new SPP on HP Gen9 Server. Now I can't figure it out which newly driver/firmware is causing this issue.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Zoran,

Please work on this technical issue with our support team. Don't forget to provide a support case ID for our reference.

Thanks!
hwelvaar
Novice

Post by hwelvaar » 1 person likes this post

I had multiple networks between Veeam Server and Hyper-V hosts.

Had the referenced error.

Solved by configuring Veeam to use specific network (the 10 Gb PROD network - I think Veeam auto-selected the 1 Gb MGMT network)
wmaxime75
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Worrel M

Post by wmaxime75 »

Case # 05846449. I've been dealing with unstable network connection on the proxy for several months now. Just saw this error for the first time today: Session failed: Reconnectable protocol device was closed. These errors are only happening with rman plugin backups.

Here's the NIC driver info:
Cisco VIC Ethernet Interface
Cisco VIC Ethernet Interface #2
Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Looks like there is a connectivity issue between the database server and the backup repository, you may try to collect network traffic dumps from both servers to find the cause of lost packets. However, the best action plan would be to continue working with our support team.

Thanks!